My laser will only engrave - not cut

Hi guys,

I am all new to lasercutting, and bought a machine with a Ruida controller.
LightBurn finds the maschine with no hazzle, but when I try to cut through 1,5 mm plywood, I only get an engravement.

The laser is 100W, and I saw on the display that it seems to only being fired of with around 32 mA. Not even sure what that number means, but I was thinking it might should have been near 100 mA.

I am doing this from a brand new Windows 10 computer, both min and max power are set to 100%, by ā€œAdvancedā€ I have choosen cut through with no time delay.

I simply canā€™t figure out what I am doing wrong :smile:

Hope you guys can help me!

Check in settings see if itā€™s set to in/sec or mm/sec

I know of no one that runs 100% power on a co2. Mostly because it shortens the tubes life substantially. You need to find out, from the manufacturer what the maximum allowed current for your tube.

Mine is 50 watt and max current is 21mA.

You give us only the current of the tube. All machines require ā€˜speeds & feedsā€™ rates to make sense or on a laser, speed and power combination. Without that the current doesnā€™t tell us much.

I cut 3mm basswood at 20mm/s@75%.

You probably have an alignment or other optics problem. It should have no problem for 1.5mm.

When was the last alignment?

Did you ramp test it?

:smile_cat:

Thank you for your replies! :blush:

I think I need to look into alignment and whatever this ramp test is :smiley:

Dear Jack, I owe you one.
I found out that the machine was very bad aligned from the factory, and after only 15-20 min of tweaking everything it is working like a charm - THANK YOU!

1 Like

What a surpriseā€¦

Glad you got it up so quickly. Most people struggle with alignment early in the game.

Take care

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.