My last/new lamp

no glue, no screws or bolts …

This is my last lamp. Everything is done with Lightburn (and my K40 ;-).
The material is 3 mm MDF, cleaned with household alcohol for grease tracks from the MDF, and “impregnated” with my own beeswax. The light source is an Osram Vintage 1906, E27, 5Watt, 140lm, 1800K.
Laser parameter: 2x450 mm / s with 20% (7.5 mA) for cutting and 1000mm / s with 17% (5.5 mA) for some engraving. Water temperature below 20 degrees Celsius.

MDF has many advantages, it is much more uniform as plywood, is very stable and beautiful to look at. The disadvantages are that it develops very greasy smoke by laser cutting and the material must be kept dry afterwards (also applies to plywood and wood).

By the way, MDF I can also cut with 1X 350 mm / s and 28% power but I think the result is a bit nicer with 2 turns.
I’m in the process of testing HDF, it’s very interesting. It requires some more power and slower cutting speed. But it is also a lot harder as MDF.

5 Likes

that’s really nice Bernd

thanks for sharing it.

Hey Bernd!

a gorgeous design! :slight_smile: cool

Not laser enabled snapping :wink:

Beautiful as usual

:beers:

Nix, only Lightburn snapping :wink:

I made this lamp from the remnants of the last lamp

1 Like

Bernd - your last/new lamp is stunning!

I’m new to laser cutting - I just got my first laser (50W CO2) aligned and working a few short weeks ago. I’m interested in learning to design creations like this (3D, pretty/functional shapes that primarily slot together, though I’m not opposed to some glue or screws if they make life easier). Could you (or another community member) suggest any resources that will help me get started? It could be a pattern (happy to pay for it) that I could make/learn from or more of a tutorial.

So happy I found Lightburn and this community - Thanks!

Hi Jen, I have only read everything here on the forum and have seen all the videos from and about Lightburn that exist. In some cases I use Inkscape but not quite often. I play a lot with the features found in Lightburn. The way of constructing things with Lightburn is perhaps not the most effective and not in the same way as in a CAD program but in return it is very intuitive and simple.
There is also learning material online for Inkscpe and anything can be done in Inkscape and subsequently converted to Lightburn.
You need to start with an idea of what you want to do with your laser. Make a sketch and divide the project into individual parts. Keep it as simple as possible in the beginning. And then try again, again and again. I enjoy the learning process as much as the product itself. Ask here in the forum if you do not understand a feature or do not get the result you want, if you can not find an answer here in older posts.
Most here start with small boxes, it is in my opinion also a nice topic to get to know one’s laser, especially everything about tolerances at finger joints and kerf settings.

I hope you have many good hours learning and doing things with your laser.

2 Likes

Simple and a Elegant!

Nice work!