My viking leather bag

Designed and made everything my self using lightburn and my co2 laser. The brass bits i burnt off paint to make a resist and then acid etched it. Really happy how it turned out.

12 Likes

never thought about using paint as a masking agent for acid etching. I learn something new every day

Oooh!!! That is such a clever idea with the brass etching! What sort of paint did you use?

The whole bag is lovely!! Well done!

That’s how I did this for my late sister and her husband:

I just used automotive black aerosol then etched in Ferric Chloride sol’n. That isn’t the final item as it requires further polishing.

2 Likes

thx ive found that cheap black spray cans are the best to use. cant rember the name but was £5.99 from toolstation

1 Like

I’ll have to give that a try, we’ve got a Toolstation (right next door to Screwfix!) where I live.

1 Like

Daangg!!! That’s lovely!! :smiley: What solvent did you use for removing the paint after?

Thank you!

i use isopropanol to clean after the burn. then acetone to clean paint off after the ferric Chloride bath.

1 Like

Industrial Spray Paint 500ml Satin Black

1 Like

Thanks for the additional info, I found it right after posting last night.

1 Like

Thanks, yes I’m quite pleased with it :smiley: I used xylene to remove the paint after engraving but you could use any one of a number of organic solvents such as acetone, MEK or ethyl acetate etc.

1 Like

Very nice work.

thx my 1st time making anything like this )) . normally done stuff with baltic birch but the price has gone insane. so tryed this i have done keyrings and small stuff with leather. pretty chuffed as i had someone in my reenactment group ask me to make them one.