Naked Stainless Steel YETI etching

New process for me, “etching” stainless steel. I don’t think its a true etch as material is not removed, rather it is deposited and laser fused. Others may be able to explain better. The process involves cleaning the stainless with acetone, then spraying on a coating of CRC 3084 Dry Moly Lube (or other molybdenum based product), let dry, wipe excess off with dry cloth, then laser. When finished, wipe to remove unlasered moly product with acetone dipped cloth. The fused moly will not rub off, not supposed to ware off, and during testing I found it was necessary to grind or sand off if desired to remove, it seemed I had to remove metal to also remove the fusing. This is a process I picked up from @TomWS, kudos to Tom and others.

The YETI tumbler in the pic has somewhat of a brushed stainless finish (factory), and the process worked well with a deep black finish as you see. I also tried it on some 304 stainless that I plasma cut and polished with a flapper disk, leaving a swirl pattern finish, but the black did not seem to pop as much, was more of a dull gray, and the underlying swirl pattern was distracting to my eye. So I tried another with a sanded finish using 400 grit wet sand paper, and found that it too popped with a deep black finish. So perhaps the finish prep is parallel line sanding, not swirls. That sort of makes sense since you have to find a good angle for best viewing, and with parallel vs. random finish lines the reflected light is more uniform and may appear deeper black.

The laser specs were: Neje A40640 (dual diode 15W or so), 25psi air assist (not sure that’s relevant but it keeps my lens clean) 400mm/m @ 100% pwr, 0.1mm interval, raster scan, 1 pass, fine focus. For a finer image edge finish I’ve used 800mm/m at 0.05mm interval, the scan tracks are overlapping each other about 50% so its the same power exposure as the 400mm/m at 0.1 interval. I don’t like running at 100% power, so I will likely find a feedrate that can run 85% power.
Cheers,
Lou

1 Like

Here’s the unit on 400 grit wet sand 304 stainless.

Don’t know that much about using the lube… I use LBT100 spray with good results…

This is from Enduramark, who has a horse in the race, but what they say makes sense. You will have to read the information and decide for yourself…

Seems to agree with some of the Glowforge users, one commented

MSDS for the CRC brand moly lube and it lists decomposition products of chlorine and hydrogen chloride”

How much of these gases it produces would probably be related to how much of it you lase… so I don’t know if it’s an issue…

Just a heads up…

Whatever it produces, the results look good…

This was done using LBT100 on the co2/rotary… The cat, 6x6 porcelain tile, also used LBT100 but it was done on the fiber…

Thanks for the post/information…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

Lou,
Thanks for posting the exposure settings. I’ll be trying this this Summer and I now have a good place to start. I agree about running at less than 100%. So if you get a chance to run those, please post those results.

1 Like