Need help picking my next laser engraver

Hello Folks,
I am planning to buy my second laser engraver in January, and I would like for anyone who cares to share, to offer me suggestions as to what I might consider. I currently have a Chinese DIY from Universal Engraver it’s a diode and 15000mw 450Nw. Very difficult to communicate due to time change and dialect. I would be interested in North American this time, CO2, diode, whatever so long as it cuts very well and can do portrait stuff well with a minimum working surface of 12-16 inches square. Oh, and I am trying to stay within a 1700-1800 USD range. I am in Canada so I’m accounting for a currency exchange. I look forward to your advise, and thank you in advance.

1 Like

12-16" square would be tough to do with a CO2 but your might get a 60W OMT at that price. I have a K40 and it’s 10x12 max without bed modification. However, if you are looking for a good diode. Check out the xTool D1 60w (10w optical). It has a good sized bed and there are great Black Friday deals going on now. You can get one with a rotary for cups for under $700 on Amazon. It used to have only proprietary software but is now Lightburn compatible.

2 Likes

Thank you, I’m glad you mentioned Lightburn, I definitely want it to be compatible with Lightburn.

If you don’t mind spending a few more dollars the 50w OMtech has a 12x20 bed. They can be found on amazon roughly $2000 USD.
I have the 60W 20x28 and have been happy with it.

Amazon 50w

I’m checking the xTool Di online and they are advertising “Power: 10W (Laser Module Output Power)”. What does that mean in terms of the actual strength of the laser. I’m not versed in translating the laser folks jargon about watts.

1 Like

Thank you, I’m open to just about anything if it’s somewhere near my budget.

It is actually 10W of laser power but it is ultraviolet/blue rather than infrared like a CO2. Many say it’s not possible with a diode but this unit uses a dual diode with a combiner to get 10W.
Will engrave a little differently and a lot slower. The module is a 60W and many diode laser companies deceptively want you to think that’s equivalent to a 60W CO2!

1 Like

Another option would be to get an ORTUR Laser Master Pro 2 which can be had for around $450US and retrofit the laser head with the 15W dual diode (450nm) NEJE head which goes for around $250US. That would also leave you a 5.5W spare head. The ORTUR does 400mmx400mm.

https://us.buybestgear.com/products/laser-master-2-pro-1?variant=40552762507436&msclkid=d1f453d9e94418317c76324189560711&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA-US&utm_term=4588811783719990&utm_content=all%20products

and others.

https://neje.shop/collections/all-products/products/40w-laser-module-laser-head-for-cnc-laser-cutter-engraver-woodworking-machine

(NEJE is also having a $30 off BF sale right now on orders >$250).

I agree with this suggestion, but add that you should plan to add air assist to that system as well.

Good suggestion!

That’s the animal I have. It’s been a great machine… Even modified it a bit…

It really depends on what you want to do. LED are better in some areas and co2 in different, even though their is overlap within these areas.

Generally the co2 are more costly but do more, power, controllers ability… If someone wants to move forward, such as you, I’d suggest a co2.

When my ‘tube’ runs out, I will probably stay in the 55 - 60 watt range as I do mostly engraving.

:smiley_cat:

Would you happen to know anyone on the forum who has the xTool D1 60w (10w optical)? I am leaning hard on it for my next one. I’d like to know it’s capability first though. I want it to be able to do some very detailed portrait work.

Yes! Got it last week and it works great with Lightburn. I know have a K40 and a 10w D1 sitting side by side. It’s the 60w (10w output) dual diode. But… be prepared for a much slower process…. I get better engraving detail with the diode.

Great. Can’t have too many of ‘these things’…

Have fun and post some of your work…

Take care

:smiley_cat:

1 Like

that is great to hear! thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.