Need help with LARGE laser engraving VERSION 1.1.03

First, this is an engraving, not a cut.

I’ve built a 42" lazy susan for a customer. They have given me a 42" wide file for laser engraving. I know I’ll probably have to upgrade my license with Lightburn so that’s a given.

But, My “UniversalEngraver” is only approximately 400mm X 400mm and 20 watt.

I need some serious help in figuring this out.

Do I need to cut the file into pie pieces?

Cut it into fourths? Smaller?

To speed this up, since with my current settings I’m at 144 hours!- How can I change my settings to speed up every engraving I do?

Attached is the file. The finish dimension is a maximum of 42" wide.

Clegouras Family

You’ll undoubtedly want to use LightBurn’s Print & Cut for this. See documentation here:

Hope this helps.

I’m going ask the forbidden question…

Why laser?

It’s not always the right tool.

I’d probably cut masks for lettering (either by hand, with a CNC cutter, or possibly laser). Then hand mask the lines, and paint/stain/chem burn.

1 Like

The diagonal of the laser’s working area won’t cover the radius of the platter, so (in round numbers) you must precisely align the laser to the workpiece and the existing marks nine times.

This does not make sense. You can probably get it right three or four times, but you will make a mistake or screw something up or the laser will glitch or whatever.

Try out whatever clever ideas you (or anybody else) comes up with on sheets of cardboard before committing to the job. After you can successfully complete the platter on cardboard three or four times in a row, then maybe you can avoid wrecking the platter.

IMO, this is one of those jobs you should politely refuse to accept.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.