Need help with trash windows 11

Last xmas I bought my grandsons dell laptops, these trashy things have windows 11 in them.
No matter what I do, this crappy windows says I have to turn off “S” mode to do anything. It will not let me install LB trial nor can I install the paid version. What is “S” mode and how do I “KILL” it??? Also, how do I tell if this junk is 32 or 64 bit?

Windows 11 S Mode is actually a different distribution of Windows 11 designed to be a more “secure” and curated experience and only allowing installations from the Microsoft store. Think more like iPad than traditional desktop experience.

It seems that Microsoft allows users to switch out of S Mode but it’s a one way operation.

Check here for more information:
Windows 10 and Windows 11 in S mode FAQ (microsoft.com)

The relevant piece is here:

Switching out of S mode in Windows 11:

1. On your PC running Windows 11 in S mode, open Settings > System > Activation.
  2. Find the Switch to Windows 11 Pro section, then select the Go to the Store link.

3.Note:* Don’t select the link under Upgrade your edition of Windows. That’s a different process that will keep you in S mode.

1. On the page that appears in Microsoft Store (Switch out of S mode or a similar page), select the Get button. After you confirm this action, you’ll be able to install apps from outside Microsoft Store.

Anything shipping with W11 will be 64-bit assuming the computers are Intel or AMD based. Note that MS sells W11 for ARM processors.

3 Likes

Just received and installed Windows 11. Tried Lightburn 1.1.04. Everything worked without problems.

2 Likes

hello PY: Well, I got back from the grand kids house a couple of weeks ago and I have not the time to get on here. Thank you for your info on “s mode”. The boys set up their own lap-t’s. One set up win. 10 while the other went with 11. There was a little difference between win-10 and 11, but no problem. Thank you again for your help.
My Ortur rotor thing, (for etching glasses) came while I was gone, the box looked like it went through a bad mud storm for a week or two. Got it put together and that’s all I have done so far and I am going to order that 100 dollar laser that we talked about. I think it was a Cenoz, can’t remember for sure.
Later update coming. R cline

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.