Need to burn leopard print into another shape-how to?

@deeve Looks like the outer line is still not fully closed. If the path were closed it would show as filled based on the fill mode of the layer.

You can find open shapes by using Edit → Select open shapes or Select open shapes set to fill.

Try this:

1. ungroup inner circle from outline
  2. select outline and make sure absolutely every single part of it is a continuous marching ants line. If not, select all line portions and do Edit → Auto-join selected shapes again
  3. If successful, this will immediately become filled red
  4. If already joined or not yet filled red, then while whole object is still selected, try Edit → Close path.
  5. If successful, this will become filled.
  6. The inner circle should have already gone clear since both filled parts are overlapping. You can group these to keep that relationship.

If this doesn’t work, reupload last version of .lbrn file and I’ll take another look.

In your original file, the object from the red layer consists of 9 individual lines. Once assembled, grouped and duplicated, it is easier to subtract the black layer from the red, in fact somewhat easier and faster with boolean operation (subtract), than “cut shapes”, as I have described in my first attempt.

No. 1 - your original, No. 2 - the 9 lines are connected now, in 2 shapes

… that’s the beauty of LightBurn, there are often several ways to do things.

Ok, I think I got it this time. Fixing the red shape seems to have worked. The shape swapped filled sections showing it was joined and Path Closed. I will try burning it later today. When I tried yesterday, the leopard bring was not printing correctly because once the leopard print was stamped by the red shape, the prints along the edges was now open. To fix that, I copied the red shape, make it a black later being the same is leopard print. Using the fill window showed they were all closed now…I think.

I think what you need to do is crop.

If you cut an object with a line layer type the resulting shape will be left open. If you change the layer type to filled the resulting shape will be closed. LightBurn handles that automatically.

Thank you all…again. I think I am at the point where I have it figured out. More importantly, I learned the technique so I can apply it to other projects.

I appreciate it!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.