Negative image toggle broken?

If I tick the negative toggle and go into preview, it shows it as a negative. I would expect it to burn a big black square. But it doesn’t. Burns it normally.

I keep using the word “both” and you keep not using that word. I want you to run two images, one negated, and one not, to verify for me that they both come out the same.

If you tick the ‘Negative Image’ option, the preview will automatically invert, trying to show you what it would look like if you were burning the image on white material painted black, like painted tile. If you’re just engraving on wood, or something where the laser is actually burning black, you need to UN-invert the preview.

I’ll just stick to inverting and editing it outside of lightburn until I can figure out what’s going on. Works that way.

Still burned it as normal.

You’re engraving on glass or acrylic? You don’t need to invert anything for that - the image you showed looks like the one you posted where the black parts of the image engrave white. You don’t have to invert anything at all for this.

That preview shows two images, one on the left normal, and one on the right, inverted. You’re saying that when you ran that on your laser, both were identical? As it, it doesn’t look like the preview where one has an engraved giant white area around it?

The glass etching was an image I edited and inverted outside of lightburn. I was trying to do this within lightburn so when the inverted black lines are cut it will will look white in the etching.

Yes. Starts to burn it normal. I would have expected the beginnings of a big black square. But no. I left the layers as two different sizes so I knew which one was being burnt.

Can you take a photo of the result of running both images on your laser? One inverted, and one not? I feel like we’re going around in circles here. The preview works from the same data that LightBurn uses to send to the machine, so if it’s negating in the preview, it should also be negating on the laser.

I will after I eat dinner.

This is what I get when I negate one:

OK. Here it is.

This is where something weird happened again. Even though one was negative and the other wasn’t, they both popped up as negative in the preview for some reason. Don’t know, moving along.

I went back through and toggled them again until I got one normal and one negative in the preview.

Started the burn.

First one as expected.

Here it’s starting the second one.

Can you attach the LightBurn project file you set up? There’s something very weird going on here.

I didn’t get home until late. I’ll post the file after work tomorrow.

test.lbrn2 (321.0 KB)

You have the ‘Negative Image’ toggle enabled on both of these cut settings layers, not just one of them.

I had the negative toggle on one and off on the other… I didn’t preview it when I saved it. This happened before and I had to play with the toggles a few times before it would show negative on one and not the other.

I loaded that file both layers had the negative image toggle enabled.

This is the raw text of that file, clearly showing the ‘negative’ setting enabled for both of your image layers:

Yeah, but it shows that one was toggled and the other wasn’t. You can check out the images from before. I had to toggle them both on and off a few times until I got it to show differently.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.