Neje master 2s compatibility

help !

i am computer literate, and have played around updating firmware in various things - phones / drones / radio control transmitters and receivers, but i am brand new to lasers, and the reason i bought a laser was with the intention of cutting balsa and thin ply to facilitate building bespoke radio-controlled aircraft

so far so good

the supplied neje software proves the device is functional, but it is way basic for what i wish to do, and LaserGRBL seems a step too far at this point

so, i am trialling LightBurn with keen intent to buy, but pointless if i can’t configure the device appropriately

i seem to have grasped the idea of importing things and making a file to run; happy to have someone confirm that the file below if functional

ribs 3.lbrn2 (20.0 KB)

i have installed LightBurn 1.0.04; my computer is win10 patched to current (20H2) and have had no problem in connecting

i am running GRBL1.1f and there is a link to suggest i can upgrade the firmware for grbl 1.1f with a selection of baud rates -

do i need to; will it help ?

when i select home in LightBurn, the laser diligently goes where it should

but if i press frame, or go to origin, it lurches along the the x axis and sounds like a vibrator and it rapidly hits the end of the (x-axis) support frame and sounds like it is a bad thing - yes, i have readjusted the belt drive lest it slipped a few teeth and altered the relative tension either side of the gantry

entering G0 X0 Y0 on the console makes the same lurching x axis

neje wiki tells me for this machine
Area setting: X: 170mm, Y: 170mm.
Origin X0,Y0: Front Left.
Automatic reset of limit switch.
from LB’s site it would seem this is possibly a negative co-ordinate machine, but entering the proposed G10 L2 P1 adjust doesn’t alter the described behaviours

i really want to use LightBurn, and will happily pay for the experience, but i need to see it behave appropriately prior to that investment

thanks in anticipation of some pointers as to where i am going wrong :dizzy_face:

What do you have set here?

i have tried upper right and lower left

it probably doesn’t help that the placement of the neje has the home position physically at my upper right
:upside_down_face:

but i am an australian :wink:

1 Like

oooeeee ! as in rick and morty (not cooee, as in a traditional australian signal in the bush)

this tutorial done fixed me

however, hitting origin still makes the arm judder to the extreme x axis position, and crash into the end away from home position, and it judders on the way to frame the cut initially - a speed issue i would guess

and the software feels compelled to warn me the job may be out of range (it isn’t)

but i can work around that till i work out the finer details

okay lightburn, take my money !

any further counsel on the issues above is welcome

That tutorial is very good, but nowhere did I see the instruction to actually send a Home command to the laser from Lightburn. Maybe it’s in the settings somewhere, but if your table is acting weird on the first move command, I recommend that the FIRST thing you do after starting up, is to use the Laser tab and click Home. The laser should move to the corner where the two axis bars come together to form an upside down ‘L’. This will be HOME with X=0, Y=170.

At that point BOTH the laser AND Lightburn agree on where the laser is positioned and any legit move command should work.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean here. If you orient the ‘L’ so the intersection is back left, then X=0 is on the left, X=170 is on the right, Y=170 is toward the back, Y=0 is toward the front, Origin is at 0,0 (front, left).

1 Like

the laser responds to the “home” button by going exactly where you suggest it should, as shown below, and from your description, this is how i understand the orientation should be considered

but when i choose “origin”, this is where the laser heads off to (with vile noises that i can’t reproduce in a still photo), before crashing into the barrier where the arrow points

this may be because the laser module is actually larger than the original iteration of the master 2s, and the extra 1cm of space required doesn’t exist, and as such the working area has thus become truncated to x=170mm, y=160mm

to further confound my understanding, if the origin is at the bottom left (where the arrow is pointed), then the origin might logically be 0,0
but depending on what home might be defined as, it could plausibly be 0, -170

as a complete novice with this concept, i have no intrinsic feel for “normal” to aid orientation

it conflicts with my prior reading of simple x,y graphs, because if i get the idea correctly here, then if the origin is 0,0 i will have to recalibrate due to the larger laser module, to accommodate clearance. and home would be (using the same relativity) actually be at 0,160

my innate maths training would see the x axis as 0 → (+)170, and the y axis as 0 → (-)160 because that point is below the arm

but if i get the concept, the arm is inconsequential in defining the actual working surface, which starts at the bottom leftmost point as i face the machine (which with enough reflection actually would make sense)

which raises these questions towards solving my problem :

• how do i tell the console to reprogram “origin” 1cm closer to the home position so the bigger laser module won’t run out of space ? (if that’s my issue)
  • why does it make the horrible noise sprinting towards what i currently thinks is the origin ?

even when i ask it to frame the project, the initial excursion to the co-ordinates makes the same horrible noise, but after locating said area, it is buttery smooth and quiet outlining the frame

under the neje software it sprints to a defined starting point without any juddering at all… and no, i don’t have both programs open at the same time - lightburn has this issue as the only program open after booting the laptop driving the device

hope that clarifies where i’m at; further assistance is most welcome

i can see the potential, and i’d love to use it

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.