New lamp prototype

My font changed???

The backticks you used as apostrophes mark the text between them as “code” or “preformatted”.

It’s a Markdown thing, which is (approximately) the formatting engine behind the forum.

4 Likes

I have some lamp shades that use metal wire frames and mulberry (Japanese Kozo) paper for covering. It has a warm, natural character similar to your wood prototype but allows more light transmittance. No idea what your goals are, but thought I would mention as a possible alternative construction.

The actual light transmission of this 2mm acrylic (opal 30%) is actually what I have wanted. I hope the ordered 3mm PC has roughly the same lighting characteristic.

… it will probably end this way ;-), I just have to get over it that it is not turned as expected.
I think the attempt to round the top and midel layer has changed and destroyed the propertions. I will measure it today and compare it to the original design.

The original proportions left the shade nearly symmetrical, vertically. The new one is biased toward the bottom. I much prefer the flatter, more symmetrical profile. Sounds like you do, too.

1 Like

Precis …, that ratio broke down by rounding the leaves I should have extended the new ones with the outer diameter of the edges … :frowning:

I thought it looked like the leaves gained a rounded edge, but I wasn’t sure.

With the last 2mm opal acrylic and a return to the original designs (with only the necessary changes) I have reached the end of the road with this lamp. I am satisfied and happy that I did not give up so close to the desired result.

I want to make some in 1mm birch plywood and some in opal acrylic. For acrylic I will try a slightly weaker LED bulb.
The first “production” lamp becomes a gift for a 50 year birth day to a good friend of mine, he already has one of my larger lamps that he is very fond of. It’s the one from picture.

3 Likes

Much better. I’m glad you kept pushing forward. It’s a lovely design.

1 Like

…couldn’t resist :wink: , now with the spacers there is more “stability” and optically it’s also more pleasing. Distance is approx. between 1-2mm

2 Likes

…that’s done :wink:
The material makes an incredible difference to the light. Where opal acrylic is a nice little reading lamp or suitable for an office, then in 1mm B/BB it is a “cozy” lamp which, with its red-brown light, is a nice winter evening lamp.

2 Likes

As someone with Dane lineage, kudos for nailing the design style of Denmark!

1 Like

Tak min ven :wink:

1 Like

My original stress reliefs were not good enough for this acrylic. So now I have made them all into the spring system and maintain all rounds. In picture it is the spacers of the lower ring (2x30° and 1mm distance, changes later to 2mm)

1 Like

I found out that Polycarbonate is not suitable for CO2laser processing - after I ordered it. I could have just searched for this material here in the forum… :wink:
But here is the test result, 45% power and speed 20mm/s.
Doing it with 2 turns makes it worse.

If large and uncomplicated items need to be cut quickly and you have a well-functioning extraction system, it can be used in an emergency.
The stench and the amount of smoke/condensate developed while cutting is too much for me to ever use this material in my laser again.

1 Like

That PC is 3 mm and only works with <2 mm, the ideal being 1 mm. And I think there is 1mm 2mm in opal.

Thanks for the information, maybe if I find such a thin PC that I give it a chance.
On the other hand, the construction is now developed in acrylic that it is relatively easy to mount without the small parts breaking. The correct stress relief has done wonders.

1 Like

Yesterday I handed in the lamp to the finest local restaurant which was so kind to swap my lamp with their standard table lamp. My friend thought it was noticeable that every other table has had another (not so nice!) lamp on their tables … I have placed a small sign with congratulations and on the back information about the lamp, at one point he found it and was touched and very happy.

Small side benefit, everyone in the room commented my lamp and the house’s boss is considering buying some …

But this first lamp has found its fine place and I am happy.

5 Likes

Lamp on = lamp off = wonderful.

update, I changed the angle and size of the middle section one more time, now the symmetry is where it should be :+1: :blush:

2 Likes