New to K40 is this any good

So im picking up a used K40 on Friday is this a worth while upgrade https://cohesion3d.com/shop/controllers/cohesion3d-laserboard/

Yes. This will make your K40 work with Lightburn. The standard controller is not supported by Lightburn.

is there a better one or is this the best

Yes this is the best for the K40! Many happy users in this forum

Cheers

Sasquatch

1 Like

Hi Chris,

The short answer - yes and no

The long answer …
I can only say what I want to do if I have to start over.
I learned the basics with a 5.5W diode laser and have had many good hours with it, especially after I found LightBurn. To engrave images, my diode laser is very fine, I have done incredibly beautiful things with this laser. But, a diode laser can’t cut wood or acrylic without you getting into a bad mood, it takes way too long and the edges are burn … 3mm plywood can take up to 20 turns, it’s not usable for me. I also used approx. the same amount of money the laser cost to get my diode laser wrapped in a suction house. The dream of a stronger laser came pretty quickly. The election fell on the famed K40. My budget is limited and it has never been intended to use the laser to make money. Because I sucked everything out of our fine forum here on K40 machines, I figured I should spend some money again to upgrade my laser. I totally dismantled the laser and rebuilt it, new bed, reorganized all the electrical and bought a better water pump and a proper suction. Because my lasers must be able to run with LightBurn, I bought a Mini Gerbil from Awsome.Tech for $ 89. It lacks the z axis but my mini 320x230 cutting table I can quickly and precisely adjust to the right focus height - manually. I am extremely pleased with the little controller and have not had any problems with it.
And no questions - I love my K40, but …

TODAY - I want to save up (about $ 500-700) and spend the approx. The $ 500 I spent on my K40 Laser to buy a 50-80 Watt laser with a RuiDa controller and a 400x700 bed.
If you get caught up in this lovely hobby and are so lucky to be able to sell some of what you have produced and enjoyed in the workshop, it is a natural development, in my opinion.

Sorry about the long answers, but I’m just trying to give back a little bit of my personal experience, just as I’ve gotten here from many the great suggestions and answers from many over here.

So it’s pretty safe to assume that your famous “Hops” Lamp was not cut with your diode laser :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@usmcsni if you can Afford and buy bigger then K40 go for it the bigger bed will allow you to make bigger things. If you want to engrave beautiful photos like @Bulldog get a diode laser

Cheers

Sasquatch

I found a K40 used for $200 I pick it up on Friday and that’s as big as I dare go I live in an apartment and would be keeping the laser in my garage

1 Like

Congratulations, you will definitely have lots of great hours with your machine and the price, if everything is ok, sounds just fine too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.