Newbie advice computer requirements

Hi, just joined site and no doubt will have loads of questions.
(Hopefully posted in right section)
Intend to learn ins and outs of engraving and getting to grips with lightburn as hobby.
Just ordered
Sculpfun S30Pro 10w + air assist
Sculpfun 40x40 Honeycomb table
Atomstack R3 pro rotary.
Main question the computer/laptop is missing. Wont use it for anything else other than laser. So not going to spend a lot on it.
Was thinking something that runs windows 10 maybe i5 and 8gb ram 15inch or Mac desktop. 2011 21inch 10.13 running sierra (believe it needs to be 10.11 or above.)
Help/advice much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

LightBurn is very frugal in terms of computer power, it can run on just about anything that can handle Windows 7, Linux (many different variations) and of course also the Mac OS variations.
I personally have LightBurn on my Mac Powerbook from 2014 with Big Sur for drawing and construction, as a computer connected via lan I use an old Dell Optiplex from 2009 with 4GB ram. it runs amazingly well on my Linux Manjaro. And for tests and as a backup, I also have LightBurn installed on an HP, also with 4GB ram and it is even older. So, if you don’t use the computer for anything else, find an old and cheap desktop computer.
You may have as many laser machines on your LightBurn license, and you can install LightBurn on 2 computers.
Enjoy

Thanks much appreciated Yeah literally will only have lightburn and only things associated with laser connected or installed to it.
Thanks

Pick up a low cost machine … I had a couple donated to me instead of the round bin. There are plenty of them floating around that people want to get rid of

The machine in the garage is a twin core, and probably twin decades old… Only time I can tell the difference from my office machine is when I have very large vector graphics.

If you have to pay for Windows… I’d load it with Linux…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

Thanks, wil do. Much appreciated

You have a nice starting setup, but be aware, MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than the laser accessories are the safety accessories:

• safety goggles (OD6+ for 450nm) ($120)
  • enclosure (self built or bought) + exhaust and ventilation ($100-$500)
  • fireproof base material
  • extra room that no other person enters while in operation

Just mentioning because many people neglect it. Finally, here is a guide to get you started with Sculpfun devices (and LightBurn): Quick Start & Overview - Diode Laser Wiki

Yes, thanks was going to get goggles. Also going to build an enclosure which vents outside. It will be in my garage attached to the house. Like most people it would be ridiculous to put a car in such a ridiculous place.
I have one question. Can you purchase images/ files, I am not even sure where to start. Where do people get Highland cows, stags, dogs, wine o’clock etc to engrave onto whatever medium. I am currently reading and watching a lot re lightburn, think it will be easier when I physically have a laptop (tomorrow) to play around with.
Thanks for your help
Ronnie

People always leave off a fire extinguisher. It is a mandatory addition to the shop.

Get a CO2 if possible… Powder types ruin equipment and mechanics…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

Sure you can buy them (etsy is one of the common places) but I would recommend starting with some free files before buying. There are many sites out there, places where you can just download files and generators, using them you can design your own boxes, cases etc. I collected a list of sites here: https://wiki.the-iskens.com/documentation/resources/ (at the end)

Very true. I forgot this in my list as well :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your advice and assistance. Going to get laptop today to allow me to get hands on with lightburn before laser arrives.
One last question should I run something like inkscape alongside lightburn.
My head is fried. Hopefully it all starts to make sense when I start using it!!
Thanks guys
Ronnie

I used Inkscape quite a bit in the beginning, but today I design/construct everything in LightBurn. There are good, simple videos on YT and LightBurns itself also has very nice starters. My suggestion, keep it simple at first and “play” with your machine and LightBurn and especially the different materials. It is actually a pleasure to construct in LightBurn, it has elements from cat without being a cat program.

Think in that case I will just go with lightburn and as you say just ease myself into it.
Thanks for the advice.
Ronnie

I used Lightburn on a decades old laptop, no use for most things but LB worked perfectly!.
As well as having a proper fire extinguisher to hand, I find a spray bottle of water handy to kill small flames before they get to big flames!

will do. srtarting tomorrow