Newbie has questions about stars on flag

“Purple K fire extinguishers are not designed to be used in extinguished fires on sensitive computer equipment or in server rooms. This is due to the dry chemical extinguishing agent being harmful to the electrical equipment. For electrical fires that involve sensitive electrical equipment it is best to use “Clean Agent Fire Extinguishers”, such as Halotron fire extinguishers.”

Add to that you shouldn’t use a ‘dry’ type extinguisher on this type of machinery or anything with ‘greasy go-rounds’.

That Purple K will work great on all this stuff… :crazy_face:

I have 5lb co2 gas extinguishers.

:smiley_cat:

Couldn’t afford the new version of halon, plus on my laser there is likely very little ‘stuff’ to burn as it’s cleaned before it’s put away and I use a sheet metal bottom. So I figured in this instance the co2 would be fine as it’s probably going to be just a knock down…

I know all the computer rooms I worked in during the 80’s had halon installed.

I know it’s out of my budget, either kind…

Well, for now, I am glad that my diode lasers operate on low voltage brick power supplies whose output voltage is below any arc flash hazard levels and as an electrician/millwright for most of my working career, I don’t see these issues in my situation. I have 3 class A,B,C fire extinguishers within 20 feet of my work area and if I have a fire, I WILL sacrifice the machines to save my garage.
One day, when I decide to do CO2, I don’t see myself buying one of the more expensive commercial machines so I still don’t anticipate getting involved in exotic fire suppression systems. My intent is to work LESS, not more and even if I purchase a more production capable laser, I don’t see myself buying one that I can’t unplug and douse with water.
That’s not to say that those who DO need or want these high cost machines shouldn’t protect them, it’s just that those issues may never be on my radar again.

1 Like

Oh man, how well I recognize your statement, enjoy it as far as you can and do not wait too long to buy the toys you want.

1 Like