Newbie here, engraving leaves lines of powder coating

HI, I checked in with you guys last month and you were INCREDIBLE in helping me resolve an issue I had. And so, being the newbie that I am, I have applied that fix to every file. FIx: using image trace when importing a png file.

Today, I have imported a black and white png file, used image trace and then copied the settings from the previous file I had issues with.

Speed 3.5
Power Max 85%
Power Min 75%

My issue is that the engraving is leaving lines of powder coating and rough edges of the graphic. I tried lowering the speed even more and increasing the power, however, I’m clueless as to why I tried that. Just sounded like a good idea. :smiley:

Can anyone tell me what setting I should be adjusting?

I’m working with a 60w CO2 laser, that is only 4 months old, everything has been cleaned and aligned.

I’m attaching a pic of the issue as well as the lightburn file.

Thanks so much for your help!
TSA Northeast Tumbler.lbrn (314.3 KB)

Sondra

Look at the ‘preview’.

I think you might have to increase the lpi on the cut layer to make sure you don’t leave anything.

Change the lpi and review it via ‘preview’. :slight_smile:

Good luck :slight_smile:

As @jkwilborn identifies, the line spacing or ‘Line Interval’, also called Lines per Inch or Dots per inch (LPI and DPI respectively), are a bit far apart to remove all coating. Adjustment to bring these lines closer to each other will help.

Additionally, looking very closely, I see that the start of each line begins just off from the one next to it.

Read here to understand why this is happening and what to do to resolve: Scanning Offset Adjustment - LightBurn Software Documentation

First, let me thank you for telling me about Preview…that will certainly save me on product from now on. :smiley: Second, that was exactly the problem! You guys are once again my heroes! Thank you so much!

Sondra

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.