No Light Emitting - Dual 150w Laser

Hi all. I am an absolute beginner to poking around with the machine and hoping some budding experts can help here.

We own a Golden Laser (Model CJGV160130LD) that has x2 dual-cantilever 150w lasers. We have had it for 2 years from new running with no issues. However halfway through a job yesterday the lasers stopped firing. The X and Y Axis do move in an attempt to cut the job, just no laser is firing.

It uses a Ruida Controller, has a Water Chiller with alarm connection (no seperate flow sensor). This is showing as all green and normal. The machine has two Laser Power Supplies (LSU) and when unplugging both of the 6pin green controller plugs and pressing the TEST buttons both lasers do fire but not when the controllers are plugged back in.

Its chinese new year this week so i am not getting an replies from the manufacturer as i normally do on whats app.

Does anyone have any ideas to help?

These have pretty simple interfacing, so it’s relatively easy to check with a voltmeter.

Whatever pwm value (or dc voltage) on the IN pin of the LPS is the current limit for the tube. When the L input goes low, it should lase…

Can you measure these?

Since it’s happening to both, I wonder what the common connection is.

Do you have the chiller wired to the LWP1 of the Ruida?

Do both lps have the P terminal grounded?

:smile_cat:

Hi Jack, thanks so much for your reply. Yes we have a chiller which is wired to the controller via wp and g i believe.

Don’t say this around the airport :crazy_face:

Mine lps doesn’t have a jack, but it looks like the WP (water protect) is doing something… I’d confirm that the P input is at ground level, this is it’s active state. If this is at ground, then you theoretically have coolant flow.

If you unplug the signal cables, does it change states?

While not plugged in, does the test button cause the tube to lase?

Hi, this where I show how much I dont know about basic electronics, what do you mean “P input is at ground level”?

These lps have an L, P and IN control line inputs. L is sometimes labeled TL and P is sometimes referred to as WP. WP is the water protection, this prevents the tube from lasing if not in an active state, which is low. Voltage between the WP terminal and ground should be zero.

If you unplug that connector, the test button should cause the machine to lase… does it?

Top man, thanks for that explanation, yes the laser does fire when you press the test button on both of the LPSs with the green controller plug removed.

I can also confirm that when the chiller is turned off the WP light if off so I guessing we can rule out a connection issue from the chiller to the power supply, I have also deliberately put a kink in one of the tubes when the chiller is on to see that the alarm sounds which is does work perfectly and returns to silence and green status when I remove the kink

You need to check the IN terminal for voltage when the tube should be lasing. We are actually checking to see if the Ruida is putting out the proper voltage for a requested current/power.

There is no need to power up the lps (laser power supply).

You can do this from the machine console or draw something in Lightburn and run it. It needs to be a line or something continuous for you to measure the pwm voltage.

You won’t be lasing anything, so ensure both the lps have their mains power removed.

I’d suggest you set the output, in the control panel of the Ruida to continuous and the power can be adjusted and pwm measured.

You can set different power levels from the Ruida machine console at a few values, such as 20% 50% and 80%… These should produce a voltage of that percentage of 5V… 20% should be a volt, 50%, 2.5V and 80% 4V…

They way most of these work, it will be there or not.

Good to know… thanks for including that tidbit. Probably the same for the TL led… this is laser enable. Probably lights when it’s told to lase.

Ok how do we check the IN terminal for voltage?

Use a voltmeter from IN to G