OLM2/15 diode died

I think my diode died just now. I burned one wooden business card just fine. Started the second one and about set the place on fire in the first few seconds of burn time. Stopped everything, tried playing with power and then nothing at all power wise. Even though the diode is producing a beam, no power at all is being generated. So, does anyone know of a good source for replacement diodes ??
Thanks - Randy

Are you looking to literally disassemble your laser module to replace the actual diode component? Or to replace the entire laser module? It’s fairly typical to replace the entire module but there’s very little discussion on this forum for diode repair.

Is the laser head moving or is it stalled in one point? I sometimes have issues with my OLMPro 2 not moving the head when I move from project to project. To address that, change the speed settings +/- 50 mm/min or do a “frame” command first, rather than starting from machine zero. Both have worked for me.

I’m planning on replacing the actual diode. I know that the diode can be bought on open market, I just haven’t found it yet. There is a young man on u-tube that is a laser freak. All he does is build bad “a” laser pointers, guns and other things. Don’t remember the kids name, I just have to search for it.

James, my unit works perfectly fine in all manners. It even puts out a blue beam that flashes as called for. Just no power output. and the beam real dim. It’s weaker than than my framing power, which I keep at .25% (point 25). If I turn the unit off for a couple of hours, then fire it up, it will burn one line of words on the business card, then it goes to the outhouse.

Hello Bo, ( They will still illuminate, so it looks like they’re working, but it’s broken inside.) Ok, please tell us what is broken on the inside. Because my olm2-pro just did the same thing. My unit is 11 months old now with maybe 500 hours at 100% power on it.
Rcline

I saw your post on an old thread and moved it to your new thread where the action is. I hope we can keep the focus here and help you get it sorted out.

Where I’ve seen these available most commonly is on Ebay. There are a couple of well-known sellers that sell individual diodes. I believe Barnett_unlimited is one but I’ve never ordered from them. There are also sellers there that ship from China. Not sure what your priority is.

I haven’t see a lot of literature on best diodes to be used as replacements for Laser modules meant for engraving. I recall a German youtuber that experimented with diode replacements but I can’t recall the channel name.

It’s possible that the ebay seller could help you identify a good replacement module if you explain what you’re trying to do.

Would be great if you could keep us updated on your progress.

I’ve replaced a lens from stock to G9 one year ago purchased from Barnett_unlimited still working. You can buy the laser, lenses and and other stuff form them regarding diodes. If my laser craps outs this place is an option.

Hello everyone :    Well I dragged out all my old tools and after a lot of testing, 

there is “NOTHING” wrong with my old board. I reinstalled the old board and now I got it working fine. It turns out to be Oxidation on the pins and inside female plugs. Sooooo - The three pin plug on top of the laser power board, unplug and replug it in several times over to scratch up the pins and the plug to remove the oxidation. Now do the same thing to the 4 pin plug going into the controller board. BE CAREFUL with the plugs. Don’t want to bend anything, also check all your connections AND the ground wire. That should (maybe) take care of of the no power control problem. Even though someones machine is 30, 60 or 90 days old, you can still have oxidation build up because you don’t know how long that machine has been sitting in a warehouse waiting to be sold. I wonder if that warehouse is humidity controlled?
A little change of subject here. My OLM2-15 has at least 500 hours now at 100% power with no problem, except for my connection problem the other night… I use my 15 for burning white ceramic tile coasters, burn them hot and deep makes them scratch proof under normal usage. My machine has a 12 v. power board, so what, big deal. Dig out your magnifier and read the fine print on the laser sticker. There is only a max of 4.5 V. going the diode itself and the “MAX” lumm. power output is only 4500
m. watts, and that’s only 4.5 watts. Even if my diode was a 5V. 5 watt, I’m still not over driving it.
This is only my personal thoughts on the matter. So crank up the power and give it, well, you know!!
Randy

1 Like