OMTech 50 W rotary question

Ask here and you’ll get plenty of it :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Take care, good luck

:smile_cat:

After a long two days, I have everything hooked up. The chuck setup did not have enough room between the laser head for focusing and the tumbler, so I had to remove the chuck from it’s factory base and ended up making a new base from 3/4" plywood, which drops into the tray where the knife bed came out.

I think I may have done something wrong with the order of operation when hooking it up because after many tests, I didn’t land at 10,000 steps/rotation, rather 12,160. I saw something on the OMTech Facebook group about resetting Y to 150 on my 50 W (500 mm x 300 mm bed). So eventually I’ll figure that out.

Ready to do some power grid tests, but I keep getting an error on the controller about overshotting. It seems that the controller “thinks” I’m at the far left edge of the workspace, but I’m not. I must have screwed that up somehow.

If there’s any info out there about how to reset X/Y coords and steps/min to save the correct settings, I’d appreciate it.

I’ll try to post pics of my new rotary base from my phone in case anyone else ran into the same height issues.

Where did you get the steps/rotation value for the rotary gui?

They should be on the motor driver…

Read the console and see where the machine thinks it is… it cannot just keep rotating and know where it is… it think that rotary is the Y axes.

I hot swap my Y axes and set the Y axes to mid point… My 500mm Y axes is set to about 250, then it can travel either direction for about 250mm…

I place it where I want it and press user origin on the machine console, then select user origin as the start from location in Lightburn.

I started with 10,000 from most advice and then just manually kept expanding it until 12,160 was correct. It also framed a rectangle the correct size of my tumbler.

Yep, it thinks X is 0.04 and Y is 30.09. I’ll see if I can follow the advice for resetting. And yes, it’s done a LOT of spinning today…LOL

Do this the right way… save you lots of head aches…

Let me know if this helps…

Thanks Jack. I’ll follow that info. Probably just need to shut it off for a while and come back fresh. It’s sooo close. Thanks for your patience! I don’t recall seeing any motor placard info but I’ll see what I can find.

Motor driver switches…

Placard on the driver… may be mounted where you can’t see it…

I have 2000 steps/rotation of the motor… The Piburn has a 2.5 to 1 ratio, so the gui has 2000 * 2.5 = 5000

rotary-controller-settings

Make sense?

yep. I dug open the control door and took pictures of the dip switches. Unfortunately, the “placard” was on the bottom of the control module, so I had to remove it.
On my DM545AA, Pulse/Rev table SW 5,6,7,8 are Off, Off, On, Off, which comes up to 5,000 Pulses/revolution. I’ll try to google the “ratio” for the OMTech chuck, but I already have the cover off, so I may just count the teeth.

Really appreciate the detailed instructions!

Then I should just have to figure out resetting my Y axis to avoid the controller errors.

It’s not a controller error, it’s an operator error… It’s the work flow you are using… and you don’t really understand how it behaves… yet

I know this… been there done that… join the crowd :rofl:

Good luck

Touche’ and correct.
Main gear = 48 teeth
Motor gear = 24 teeth.

So… 5,000 x 2:1 ratio = 10,000… Back to that drawing board. I probably overwrote something.

Looks like you’re on to something… :wink:

Remember, the chuck should rotate one turn and back…

Agreed. Now with it set at 10,000, it maybe does 2/3 rotation and back. Even when I change it to 12,160 again, it does the same. (Now it does one full turn at 18,400 SPR…) I think I’ll cut my losses and try again tomorrow at this point. And now if I power the laser off and then back on, it does a really slow rotation and takes a couple minutes before I can access the device. I’ll probably call in tomorrow and see about factory resetting it, but my buddy doesn’t have the password…LOL

Thanks for all of your help.

This should work… something is amiss…

What do you need a password to?

Sometimes it’s good to kick back and relax… the little gray cells keep working while you relax…

I was reading the manual for the 50W Omtech and what the controller menus will allow you to do. I thought if I had to reset to factory, I may need it. It’s definitely supposed to be 10,000 steps/rotation, so maybe I need to see if the controller shows the correct steps.

The only other thing I’m not fully clear on is the steps to swap Y for Rotary Y and what needs to be reset/“homed”. I’m used to the XTool D1 where I can move the gantry by hand to the proper rotary location. Can’t do that on CO2…LOL

Not sure I’ll get back to it after work. Getting nice out and yardwork is calling.

If you don’t do a backup of the setting in the controller and you do a factory reset, your machine won’t work until you figure out how the vendor set it up… All the vendor settings will be gone, such as motor steps… In other words deep :poop:

You should, as a routine, make a copy of the factory settings of any controller device… just like you do on your own home computer :rofl:

Including those on the Ruida … from Edit → Machine settings and save it to a file. Place it away as a safe prime copy of your factory settings… when you break it, you can reset it…

These are supposed to be easy… you (we) are making this much more difficult than it should be, so we should examine what’s happening in more detail and isolate it to one side or the other…

Set the gui for the rotary to your steps/rotation on the switches (5000, I think)…

Press test and watch the motor pulley do it’s one compete turn and back.

If it’s correct the problem is after the motor shaft… if it fails it’s before the motor shaft…

Make sense…?

Use the … KISS principal

Perfect. KISS principle. Brings up old memories of Airman Leadership School.
Playing a little hookie and just did the above. Drive wheel cycles a little more than 1 revolution, then back. I have the rotary sitting outside of the laser so I can put a sharpie mark on it and line it up with masking tape. So the issue is before the motor shaft. I am going to cycle through the RUIDA menu to see what all of the settings show and write them down. It may be as simple as a machine setting, I hope.

Something isn’t making sense…

If the pulley does slightly over 1 turn, then the rotary should rotate slightly over 1 turn…

You previously stated it only turns 2/3 rotation? This data kind of conflicts…

Do us both a favor, stay out of the Ruida configuration until we figure something out… You shouldn’t have to do this under normal circumstances…

Agreed. I’m staying out of the controller. Turned it off and tried again. When you turn on the laser, the x/y resetting process takes a long time. First does about 3 revolutions one way at a reasonable speed, then goes the other way very slowly for a long time. Then back the original way very slowly for a short time.

Ran the test again at 10,000. Drive wheel (motor) still goes just more than 1 revolution (which means the driven goes a little over 1/2 revolution.) It’s possible I typo’d the earlier one from Sunday.

Anything in the machine settings I should be looking at since 10,000 should be correct, but it’s not working?

Stay out of it… worse comes to worse you can adjust it via the steps/rotation and/or the ratio… It’s a digital system, keep it that was a far as we can.

Remember these settings also apply to your Y axes … don’t want to break that…

If you are sure it’s motor driver is 5000steps/rotation … with no other options, I’d suggest you fudge the steps/rotation around to get as close as possible to the one rotation test option… That shouldn’t break anything else or require you to re-load things… that’s really a pain…

This isn’t right as far as I’m concerned… Stay out of the controller…and make a backup of it… :wink:

Good luck