OMTech 50 W rotary question

Yeah, I think swapping wires would be a pain when switching between rotary and flat.
Just finished his episode 1 video and he shows how the “origin” can change the direction.

Really appreciate all of your help. Time to get to material testing and building up some template material holders since these jaws are super agressive.

Have a great weekend.

I don’t mean changing wires… once that’s done it’s fixed…

What I was speaking about was the change in the controller… Although you can do that as well…

If it’s working, that’s great…

:smile_cat:

After all said and done, things are stable. After working through more troubleshooting to find the original problem, I may have stumbled on something.

Using the LB rotary “test” function.
Steps per rotation = 10,000 which is accurate.
Chuck (object) diameter is 80.
So if I hit “test” with the above two parameters in, it does exactly one turn and back.

Where I believe I was going wrong or confused is when I loaded a 30 oz tumbler with a 100 mm diameter, input that for “object diameter”, it would NOT do one full turn and back. Actually a little less. I thought for the test, “object diameter” did not matter. Apparently, it does.

So…I drew a rectangle on LB workspace with the 100 diameter circumference (314.159 mm) to see if it would frame with one full revolution on the tumbler. And success.

I don’t know why putting the rectangle on the workspace made a difference on framing AND testing with the test button, but it did.

Anyway, just a FYI if anyone runs across this issue.

My next goal is to be able to use absolute coords to run consistent jobs, but for some reason, my Y axis on the controller shows 10,000 as the Y coord, so when I hit “frame” on something like the above, it takes FOREVER to frame while the Y turns round and round, counting down from 10,000. I’ll see if there are any other threads on that.

Thanks Jack.

I think you haven’t quite grasped what’s happening… takes a while… or I am not following you…

When a machine is moving across material, it’s referred to as the surface speed. Many machines will move the tool and the material simultaneously which, when combined gives you the concept of surface speed.

A simplistic example is, along one axes the tool is moving 100mm/s but the material is moving 50mm/s, so the surface speed, along that one axes could be 50mm/s (100 - 50) or 150mm/s (100 + 50).

With a wheeled rotary the wheel is driving the surface of the object, the resulting surface speed of the object is that of the driving wheel, no matter the size of the object.

A chuck rotates an object around it’s center.

Cars have differentials because when you turn a corner or go in a circle, the inner wheels turn slower than the outer wheels… So with a chuck you need to know the diameter of the object to compute the surface speed…

If you chuck up a 55 gallon drum or a coke can, one rotation of the chuck will produce 1 rotation of the item… the distance around the 55g is much greater than the coke can, so the surface of the 55g drum must move faster to make one rotation in the same amount of time…

You’ll have to move the Y axes to a lower number… else it can’t travel any further than it’s max…

Use the Ruida console to move your indicated work axes (Y) to it’s center or at least the size of that direction of the artwork…

I hot swap my rotary and just run the Y axes up to 150mm half the area of the Y axes.

I use this work flow when doing mugs… The last batch had the manufacturers logo on the center front.

I set start from to user origin and center left for job origin.

If the mug is positioned with the logo up it should center the image on the mug relative to the logo… with the image going to the right… looks like how you set yours up.

Place the head at the bottom of the image area, on mine that right above the logo.

Press the origin key on the console

Run the job… hopefully I didn’t miss any steps but I’ve done this a bunch…

Make sense?

Makes total sense. I think I just watched too many videos where the author said for the LB rotary test, it didn’t matter what the diameter setting was. Just the steps per rotation. Not true.

So basically “surface speed” is what I want for my engraving settings, which is why you need to input it before engraving.

I’ll try your method of resetting the Y axis to basically 150. I was just hoping it was a setting so I didn’t have to do it manually, but if I do, no big deal.

Thanks.

Is that “limited slip” setting? LOL

If you just look at the motor shaft/pulley the diameter isn’t needed… you can read the steps off the motor driver… Not enough content to say yea or nea… :rofl:

Roller no need for diameter
Chuck diameter is required

You set the speed as you normally would, the machine(s) calculate the surface speed… moving the object the proper amount to make it’s surface speed match the set engraving speed…

Decided to do a side by side test with the CO2 and XTool D1 with RA2 rotary. XTool always did one revolution with the Test button and it didn’t matter if I changed the diameter number on the rotary test window. Wondering if it’s because the X tool uses the Z axis versus Y on RUIDA?

Or is that just the difference between the controllers?

No it won’t change the outcome, as the test button rotates it one turn and back. The diameter isn’t needed to do that test… it checks your steps/rotation… irrelevant if it’s a wheel or chuck…

I would have thought so, but both are chucks and only the RUIDA changes how far one turn is when I change the diameter setting. At least I know now, for sure. Thanks.

The proper setup is to rotate the chuck or the roller one turn and back…

Neither uses the diameter… how would it?

That, I can’t explain. I only know what it did. Maybe there’s something wrong in my LB or controller settings. Each laser is on a different computer just to keep the settings for diode and CO2 separate. Regardless, it doesn’t really matter anymore now that I know the differences.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.