Omtech 60w, need small help guys

Hi, I’m planning to buy omtech 60w and I’m planning to cut and engraving acrylic sheets(mirror, gloss etc 1-10mm lets say) but I’m worried about outcome for edges etc
I want to know does after cutting acrylic it’s doesn’t leave burned ar bad look etc, most imported for me it’s outcome from cut :frowning: if someone can send the photo of outlook how does the edges look like after cut I would be thankfully happy for the support from you guys :slight_smile:

From my (claimed) 60 W OMTech, like this:

And this:

And this stack of layers, after an epoxy coating:

Good enough for my simple needs … :grin:

5mm OMT 60Watt

15mm OMT 60Watt

Extruded acrylic gives a better edge than cast…

I was hoping that @ednisley and @bernd.dk would have commented on this…

:smile_cat:

It is correct, but at thickness up to approx. 5 mm the effect/difference is not so bad, in my opinion. It is more “annoying” that extruded acrylic can be more brittle and have more internal stresses. The surface is also more scratch resistant with cast acrylic.
But for most of my acrylic projects I still use extruded acrylic, it is cheaper and the mechanical demands are not so great on most of my projects.

And, as a side effect, the alcohol in permanent markers cracks it like crazy, as seen in a mirror engraving I did:

The big green area had the mirror backing engraved away, then colored with green Sharpie: the border of the engraved area is full of stress cracks. The starbursts are random speckles punched through the mirror backing and, because my coloring hand is weak, they got Sharpie scribbled over them, too.

Pretty when seen through the microscope, but if it weren’t so cold out I should’a done a rattlecan paint job.

…I have had this bitter experience by using the “wrong” glue. :angry:

Consider investing in an airbrush. This gives you more flexibility in what you paint with and what’s used as a thinning agent.

1 Like

I actually have one on the shelf, but spritzing it in the basement during winter is even worse than a rattlecan paint job. Cue the longstanding desire for a painting booth with an exhaust fan … [sigh]

Alcohol is a solvent for acrylic…

A couple for condiment dishes made out to acrylic… one on the right had alcohol in it for a few minutes… Took a few weeks to get to this point. Initially there was nothing, then over a few days it started cracking…

I still use it, it doesn’t leak, but looks terrible.

:smile_cat:

I already have plans for this soon myself.

I’ve found that with low enough pressures and just the right viscosity level that I can paint into a passive makeshift booth with almost no overspray. This basically means slightly thicker than ideal for easy spraying. This can lead to clogging of the tip but easy enough to clear up. Not a good substitute for proper ventilation but works in a pinch.

Thanks for the replys :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.