Opt lasers plh3d-6w-xf speeds and power

Was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to post and materials library or even just notes they have jotted down with speeds and power for any materials they work with.

There is very little info that I can find and I don’t even have a base line to start with. I am using an X-Carve but not sure the actual machine matters short of vibrations. Case in point do I attempt my first job at 200 mm/m or 2000 mm/m. Power settings are maybe easier to play with and figure out but higher speeds shake my table. Does/would this affect the laser? Do I spend hours or days trying to beef up my table (which works find for carving) just to find out that no matter what, I will never be able to go above say 500mm/m even if it’s welded to a sherman tank? Ok, I am being funny but without knowing what I should be able to do I can’t attempt to get there.

Greg

1 Like

Air-assist will improve cut efficiency. 500mm/min is a good speed to work with.
I have Opt Lasers plh3d-6w-xf.
Please join Opt Lasers facebook group. There is plenty of help plus a google sheet with some references to what you are asking for.

As a reference i am cutting plywood @ 500mm/min speed 100% power 3.2mm birch plywood in 6 passes using air-assist (around 0.5bar pressure).
Using XF High resolution lens (the black lens)

1 Like

They also have test results on their site, it’s worth a sneak peek, it looks cool :))
Have you done anything since February?

I got up this morning decide to play with the laser I tried to burn an image that was a drawing. I had the height set at 60 mm while using the high resolution lens I don’t have the big gimpin so I used only light burn to adjust the drawing the settings I used were under the adjust image tab my DPI was at 454.5 my gamma was at 0.100 my brightness was at -1 my contrast was at 10. under The cutting layers tab my speed was at 400 my power was at 25% my DPI was set at 450 the overscan was at 4%, and using the jarvis setting. my results were fairly decent but yet I still lack a little bit more fine-tuning I’m hoping that anybody could help me and maybe compare notes doesn’t have to be the same image it can be a different image but I’m just trying to get mine dialed in. I have a 1000mm x 1000mm xcarve with a 6w opt laser. I’m trying to get the results like the guy from SouthernSmoke Engraving ( SouthernSmoke Engraving - YouTube ) gets or better. I will attach the link of the image that I attempted to burn Black Panther (Drawing) by legend518 on DeviantArt
I chose this image because it had a lot of black and a lot of Gray tones and that’s what I’m trying to dial in on. Any pointers in the right direction are greatly appreciated. I’ve been searching for someone with the same set up that I have, that post videos or images of STL engravings or portrait unfortunately those are few and far in between I’ve only heard stories about it never actually seen anything.

There is a small blog post about their current diode lasers and what they are good for: