Overscan vs Fast Whitespace Scan

I have an image that runs 1:20 with the default settings.
If I enable “Fast Whitespace Scan”, it’s down to 0:37.

Will this counter the benefit of “Overscan”, resulting in some unexpected results due to the laser changing speed when it gets to the burn area?

They should be unrelated, why? Have you checked this with your job? Are you seeing something you would like us to also understand? :slight_smile:

The two things seem to be in conflict, is all, and I was hoping for the benefit of someone else’s experience on it before I run a test, waste some time, and waste some material when I get back to the shop.

I just saw the Fast Whitespace option, looked up what it does, and wondered if that could cancel out the positive effects of using overscan.

They don’t seem entirely unrelated to me. One is meant to avoid overburning due to the laser module accelerating and decelerating at the end of each pass, and the other would increase the amount of accelerating and decelerating the laser module a lot more often, during each pass. Doesn’t it seem like those two settings together could produce some less than optimal results?

As far as I know the fast white space is the speed that the laser moves between objects. I assume then that that White space move would end and revert to normal engraving speed at the beginning of the over scan segment. I also assume it would calculate the deceleration from whitespace scan speed to end up at the start of the over scan segment at the correct speed and therefore the over scan should work the correctly?

Cheers

David

I will try it on the next project where it would seem to help.
Wondering if there’s a reason this is not enabled by default, like overscan was. Seems like everyone would want this, unless there is a downside to it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.