Overwhelmed Newbie seeking suggestions for finding help

Hi there, I’m just finding this forum and wondering if anyone has suggestions on where to go to get help with buying files that could be custom created and ready to upload to work on my Boss Laser? Quick backstory- I’m a glass artist and decided to buy a laser (sadly over 2yrs ago) so I could etch dichroic glass that I use in projects, among unlimited other material ideas. However, I’ve been completely overwhelmed trying to teach myself how to understand this software and this big investment just sits neglected collecting dust because I’m intimidated trying to figure out how to run the damn thing. While I’m not a total dumbass on a computer- my brain is on overload trying to go through online video tutorials and then applying that in the software to get this all rolling. I’m to the point where I’d be willing to pay a third party to either create files for me (that include the layers/cut info in addition to the graphic part if that’s possible), or in a perfect world- find someone who would teach me hands on. I live in WV about 2 hours from DC and would love to find someone on the east coast who would be willing to have mercy on me to show me the ropes. I signed up to attend the 3 day event in Oct, but not sure if that will include hands on instruction or demos. I’m just getting antsy to fire this machine up already, so finally am sucking up my pride to reach out looking for help. I thought to try to look on platforms like Etsy or Fiverr for folks who would create files, but not sure if that’s the best route. Any ideas, insights, feedback or suggestions would be Sincerely Appreciated!! If you’ve gotten this far- thanks for taking the time to read my long winded plea!
Cheers,
Manda

Compared to many other laser manufacturers, Bosslaser.com has an extensive help and starter segment on their homepage. From material settings to finished files, you can download and test a lot.
However, if you want to use your laser seriously and professionally, you cannot avoid getting to know your machine, thoroughly.
I can guarantee that if you just download the finished files and are told what button to press, you will quickly run into serious financial problems. When you call a professional every time for help, with everything, it costs money and your business becomes pointless.
The good news is, if you’re willing to give the machine and you a chance, it’s not that difficult after all. Take a weekend where you relax and with an open mind (and many cups), watch the most important videos from LightBurn and from BossLaser. Then you will quickly learn to make very simple items in LightBurn and learn to download files from external sources such as Etsy and adapt them to your laser.
And - !! - we are here too, you will always be able to ask about everything here in the forum. You are not the first nor the last to have the same concerns regarding the new laser world, we all started somewhere.
Get started and have fun.

1 Like

Totally understandable. This can be a deep piece of software running a huge number of machine types from tiny , nearly toy lasers to large commercial production machines. Add in the types of materials and the combinations explode exponentially. Finding the info you need for your specific ecosystem is a genuine challenge.
Coming here to the LB forums is a great start to getting these pieces to click together. It does seem overwhelming but like most things , take small bites and soon you will be LOOKING for challenges to test your skills and setup.
I too will be at LBX in October and would certainly take some time to talk to you and see if I can help. I also teach at a large MakerSpace in Massachusetts, if you ever get up this way I would be happy to spend a little time trying to get you sorted a little better.

2 Likes

Although we tend to see only the horror stories around here, it seems many “purchased” files come with problems ranging from nasty to catastrophic. Assuming a purchased file will Just Work™ without (sometimes extensive) intervention / repair is … optimistic.

Fixing a design requires experience traveling the path from idea to reality: if you don’t know how that process can go wrong, you’ll be infinitely frustrated trying to fix it.

Start with the LightBurn tutorials, do the simple projects, make a whole bunch of mistakes, learn how to fix them, and after a while you’ll wonder how anybody could possibly think that stuff is difficult.

Protip: practice on cardboard / chipboard / MDF. When you can control that process and produce consistent results:

Then move on to fancy stuff:

For a very limited value of “fancy”, indeed.

A lampwork glass bead I made at Corning sits on our mantle as a reminder that nobody begins as an expert. :grin:

• Etsy: maybe.
  • Fiverr: avoid avoid avoid.
3 Likes

Hello, I very much appreciate you taking time to reply with a honest response and encouraging words! I briefly just visited Boss’ website (thank you for the link) and had no idea they offered so much information. I was under the impression that it all had to do ultimately with learning Lightburn first in order to get it to communicate with the machine. I definitely know I need to have a better grasp on how it all works, and posting on this forum was my first step out of my comfort zone to attempt to find suggestions. Thanks again!

Hello, I appreciate you taking time to respond! That’s great that you are planning to attend the event in Oct and I appreciate your willingness to offer your time. That is very kind of you! I’m not all that far from MA, but likely couldn’t get up there anytime soon with my current schedule and booked events. I will certainly reach back out to you though if I can make that happen. Thanks so much!

Hello, I love that you mentioned having a bead you made at Corning & the simple statement about nobody begins as an expert. Truly hits home! My first (and only) flame working workshop was taken at Corning over 27yrs ago and project designs were very limited. I’m completely self taught with my glass work, and it is hard to think back about the early days when I can spin out icicle ornaments with my eyes closed now. Thanks for sharing links to your blog to offer some insights on projects.

I have a bunch of 5mil luan that I figured I would practice with since it’s inexpensive and already in the garage. Thanks for taking time to respond!

I’m glad you’re looking a little brighter at your Laser/LightBurn future now.
As for LightBurn itself, look at it this way, there are always certain challenges to master when learning new programs, but with LightBurn, at least you have chosen the best and easiest program to learn and control your laser with.
Find the short intro videos from LightBurn that explain the basic functions and test the content right away on either your computer or computer and the laser machine.
Another important thing (in my opinion) is that you have to imagine that LightBurn with its construction possibilities is a very important tool of your business. The best ideas and creative thoughts are useless if you cannot translate them into real physical objects. Therefore, you will be very interested in quickly becoming good at using LightBurn. It turns out that you would rather make a sketch in LightBurn with a new idea for a product, as on paper, it’s just easier and faster.
I used to have a favorite pencil to sketch with, you know, with the right soft and clear writing…nowadays I almost only use it to write shopping lists or write notes to loved ones. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.