Ozone Generators are amazing

I recently started making a new puzzle product that requires a lot of laser cuts. I was getting some customer complaints about the burnt wood smell that lingers after cutting so I started looking for a quick and easy way to deodorize the puzzles before shipping them.

I usually just sand and spray with a clear coat, but for the puzzles sanding is not an option and the tolerances are so tight I don’t want to spray them.

After trying lots of stuff (like Fabreeze which did not work at all) I found that after a fire, remediation companies will bring in an Ozone generator and let it run overnight in a house and it will completely eliminate the smell.

So I bought a very cheap and very small Ozone generator. These generators are rated by the amount of ozone they produce in an hour typically in mg or grams per hour. This little guy put out 2000 ug/hr (millionths of a gram) so I did not have big expectations, but thought it would be worth a test if I put the parts in a small Tupperware container with the generator to see if it helped.

After just 10 minutes in the box, the parts came out with so smell at all, it completely removed all traces of the burnt odor and 24 hours later they still had no odor.

I can’t imagine what one of the larger machines that produce 100g/hr would do.

I know that high concentrations of ozone can be harmful and you should never be in a room where a large ozone generator is running. Ozone in high concentrations can also do bad things to plastics and other man made materials. So you would not want to put one inside your laser.

But for small parts you can put in a sealed container this is amazing!

4 Likes

Been using one in the house for years. I honestly never thought to use it on wood. What a great find!

1 Like

I gave one these to someone that gets bad headaches since using it the headaches have almost gone away. they only use it at night.

1 Like

Been using ozone for about 40 years, first started with one for fish tanks worked great. Then started for use to kill germs ( bacteria and viruses ) works great for that to. I think in parts of Europe they use it to sterilize surgery tools.

1 Like

It appears that industrial kitchens also use them to sterilize everything overnight.

That’s a great tip Allen, thanks for sharing.

Cheers

David

1 Like

Just be careful if any of you haven’t had experience with Ozone generators and decide to buy one. Unless it was some baby one specifically designed for in-home air use, only use them in sealed areas with no humans or animals present. High ozone can be very dangerous.

2 Likes

It is really cool, I have used one in my car, I am totally satisfied

1 Like

Dude, You should to use generators which are okay for your space. consequences of using very powerful Ozone Generators in small space could be very bad. You can get intoxication. I agree that it removes odours very good, I use it in my car where I often smoke cigarettes. However, you should be attentive when you buy it. I recommend you to read more articles about it and may be try to use personal generator to remove smells from you clothes. On https://www.damagecontrol-911.com/do-ozone-generators-really-work-for-hunting-and-hunting-clothes/ there is a lot of information which could be useful for you.

Your post reminds me of:

We had to replace out A/C units last year and the company we used offered a ‘Whole Home In-Duct Air Purifier’. It’s called a Reme Halo by RGF. It’s been a night and day difference with our allergies by helping remove dust from the air but odors, including cooking, bathroom and laser, disappear really quickly. Before the Halo we had a couple ozon/uv/filter combo units that we got rid of shortly after seeing this work. I’ve seen them on Amazon so you can install them yourself. There’s an adjustment on it to regulate the amount of Ozone it generates and it also has a UV light for killing bacteria that basses by it in your ducts. We have a larger size home so ours are set a little more than the default setting.

https://www.rgf.com/products/air/reme-halo/