Painted, baked and burned

I made a post a few nights ago about baking my white ceramic painted tiles. Mr. Jack W. told me to post a few, so here goes. OS – L.B. on windows 7 Pro, Ortur m2 - 7 watt ( sorry I mean 1.6 watts burning power) LOL. 1200mm/m at 12% power. These are my first 3 burns after baking the tiles for the first time.

I now bake all my tiles… simple white tile w/ blk paint – 5mins. cleaning / painting – 1 &1/2 hours in the oven, then about 30 mins. cool down time and then I put my baby laser to work !! Anyway, all three of these were rejects, washed clean and repainted and burned again . For some reason the skull got horz. burn across it, The buck was my fault, uneven paint job and the little boy has a strange burn across his right eye. All rejects, all got trashed, well washed and repainted.

1 Like

What temperature do you bake the tiles, and is the paint acrylic and sprayed, or brushed on? They look good!
Charlie

Whats the purpose of baking the tiles? Also what are you using for paint?

Hello Mr. “C” : I’m baking my tiles for 1 to 1-1/2 hours at 170 degrees. I’m using regular krylon spray and rust-oleum spray. After making a burn I use both clear acrylic and clear enamel to protect the paint from getting chipped. I use which ever clear coat that happens to be the closest to me to grab.
All the videos on u-tube and I have seen several people in here say, paint your first coat and it dry for 24 hours !! now paint your second color on and let that dry for 24 hours, now paint your top coat of what ever color and let that dry for 24 hours. Come on, I’m not going to wait for three days for paint to dry. I use a large pizza pan that I can fit 12 four in. sq. tiles on at a time. After about 6 hours of baking time I have a dozen 3 color tiles ready to burn. If I’m doing just a plain white tile painted black, I pop out a dozen every 1-1/2 hours. Some times a lot of black and white tile pictures have so much detail that it can take “me” up to 3 or 4 hours to make one burn. I use my baby laser, 1.6 watt at 1200 mm/m with 12% power. I like things low and slow.
I hope I have answered your questions, if not give me another shout out.
Have fun - R. Cline

Hello Scott: I was just now telling the chaplain that every thing I see on u-tube and some people in here say, paint your first color on, let dry for 24 hours, spray on your second color, let dry 24 hours and so on. I’m not going to wait 3 days for a three color tile to dry. I can pop out a dozen 3 color tiles in about 6 hours. I say 6 hours, only 4-1/2 hours baking time and I’m adding extra time for cleaning the tiles and painting each different layer of paint. I’m using Krylon and Rust-Oleum spray, I’m baking each layer of paint for 1 to 1-1/2 hours at 170 degrees. And with my extra large pizza pan I can fit a dozen 4" sq. tiles on at a time. That lets me pop a dozen 3 color tiles every 6 hours. Simple white tile painted black or what ever color, I can pop a dozen every 1-1/2 hours. Also after burning tiles I spray with clear coat to protect the paint from chipping and it gives tiles a nice shine to them. And yes I use both enamel and acrylic clear coat, which ever one I happen to grab first.
Have fun with your burning !! R. Cline