Pausing 3+ hour laser jobs Trouble/Not working

Hey guys, I have owned a YoraHome 6550 40w laser for some months now and I’m getting more comfortable using it. This morning I wanted to test my the light burn software and the machine if it can pause and resume properly. I made a simple 9 inch by almost 3 inch rectangle, the job was 14 seconds. I pressed pause at 10 seconds
and nothing, not a single command at all was visible in the console. So I tried it again several times and nothing. It seems that something isn’t right. I have read on here that pausing can take up to some minutes is that true? For example i’m trying to laser print a lake scenery with trees ( silhouette type of print) how would this effect my pausing rate if there is any? And if there is no pausing delay normality, then how can i trouble shoot, I would love to pause because my laptop tend to die fast. Usually in two hours, but regardless the pausing setting should work right? Any tips you guys have for pausing and resuming? Please help!

The problem is that your job was so simple that the entire thing fits in the command buffer of the laser. If you are cutting a rectangle, it needs a couple of commands for the setup, then only 4 commands to run the rectangle itself. If you are engraving an image, every dot in the image will require a GCode command.

When you click ‘Pause’, if your version of GRBL supports it, we send a command to tell the machine to pause. If your version does not support that, we just stop sending data to let the command buffer run out. How long that takes depends entirely on how long those commands take to run. During image engraving, each command will be very short, so it won’t take long to pause. Cutting a rectangle, each command will run for a while, so it can take much longer for the pause to kick in.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.