Pen Rotary Table for Fiber Laser

I loose count after 10…

This produces a much better result than measuring the pulley “diameter”, because the pulley pitch diameter is about half the belt thickness outside the grooves for the belt teeth.

When you count the number of teeth on the two pulleys, dividing them gives the exact drive ratio. The pulley diameters will be close, but incorrect.

1 Like

You are correct, but we are looking for a whole number, so diameter will tell us if it is 4:1, 6:1, 9:1, etc. They don’t usually come 4.12345:1.

True! For the small numbers of teeth in question, it seems easier to deal with integers right from the start.

I generally mark the “tens” teeth the first time around to avoid losing count, but I have trouble getting over, uh, ten without untying my shoes.

Fixing a similar problem for a knitter:

1 Like

Thanks to you all! After tearing apart the unit, counting teeth I came up with a 2.5:1 ratio which netted me 32000 steps per rotation on the wheel. And now she works like a dream.

Woohoo! Love it when a plan comes together!

If you understand how it works… it isn’t so bad figuring it out…

It would be better if the manufacturer would at least advise you of that fact…

:smile_cat:

Yeah it would have been. I reached out to them and gave them all the info I learned so when the next guy has questions they got answers.

Most purchases are not from manufacturers, they’re from sellers. Big difference. What is listed on the ad is what the seller knows, if that.

I don’t know of any of these that manufacture all the parts… Even Harley Davidson. Knew and put Nippon Seki speed and tachometers on my sled… They didn’t hide the fact.

I know full well that when OMTech sold me a 50W laser, they knew it was not 50W. No one can convince me they did not know it was more in the line of a 40W tube… maybe. Only 50W if I ran it like a flash bulb

We get it cheap and there is little you can do if you get ripped off… OMTech and Cloud Ray have pretty good support, but I’ve heard horror stories about both. I’ve also read some of the bs they feed their customers…

When you manufacture something like an lps or a tube, you have some that don’t make specifications. These are not thrown away, they sell them to vendors or manufacturers that sell them to us as new items, which they are, but not in the way we think of it… Grade B stuff seems pretty common…

One of the guys got paid for an 80W Reci from ebay and it was marked 75W… grade B tube at grade A price… He did get it swapped out, but I bet they just took another one and made sure there was no sticker on it. Of course he was down a month. Same with lps… doesn’t make specifications… sell it to a vendor, who puts in into a machine and sells it to you (us)… I’m hoping this doesn’t happen with controllers…

They know or they wouldn’t be selling this stuff… they are not stupid or ignorant.

We all pay our money and take our chances

For all practical purposes, you can’t take any kind of legal action against them…

Well, I’ve got my gripe in for the morning :money_mouth_face:

:smile_cat:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.