Perpendicular lines

This has been discussed before. Haven’t found an answer.

Given a line drawn at any angle, how can I choose a point along that line and draw a perpendicular to it?

this must be a workable solution :+1:

Yes I know I can do that. However, seems a bit convoluted. This is a common requirement that LB should be able to handle.

Degrees of rotation in LB are reversed. Degrees are always measured counterclockwise from 0. LB does it clockwise. Look at a protactor.

Perpendicular is 90° rotated from a line (of any angle).

I can show you like this:

• Draw a line

• With node editing, insert a node on the line (hovering on the line and pressing I) where you are choosing to intersect with its perpendicular self:

• Select the line, press CTRL-D to duplicate the line, then enter 90 in the rotation control:

• With the selection control on (that’s this image ) hover over the perpendicular clone of the line until you find the snap point of that node you inserted:

• Pick up the line from that node (select the line while the snap icon is showing that node snap), and move it to the corresponding node of your original line:

On this concept, @RalphU offers a great suggestion. There is also the approach of using the radius of a circle and snapping. For example, if you wanted the intersection to be at 6 inches, draw a 12 inch circle. Use the center snap of the circle to snap it to the end point of the line. Now your intersection on the line is the 6 inch radius. Now picking up the line from the node, the snap will happen on the side of the circle:

Issue with this method. I can create the perpendicular just fine. However, when resizing the length it will not maintain the proper angle.

Try it. Do as you showed and then resize the line to .25"

I did, and recorded it for you to see that it works for me. Also, take note that for this video, I used the line tool to measure the angle (see status bar below the layers when I draw overlapping lines for measuring angles).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.