Photographic etching

hi
ive been experimenting with photo etching on my 80w boxford Co2 cutter, ive noticed that i get better results at slower speeds and low power, on the assigned setting it was cutting too deep and lost resolution. Is it possible get similar results to a diode laser using a Co2 laser? can Co2 laser handle high DPI numbers 300 upwards and is there any advantage in using higher DPI settings? lastly , has anyone used anodised aluminium cards as they seem to get high res images, do these work on Co2 lasers?
thanks for all your replies
andy

The correct dpi/lpi settings is critical for not only a good engraving, but also any fill operation.

Limiting factor is spot or focused dot size. Most co2 lasers, stock, usually are around 0.10mm (254 dpi). A compound lens would get you down to the 0.05mm (504 dpi) area…

The other half of the equation is how the material reacts to the damage by your laser.

You didn’t mention what kind of speed/power you are using… I have a 40W, I run it in the lower teens, power wise and keep the speed below 300mm/s… This is basswood, pretty soft…

Spend some time learning how to get the correct dpi/lpi for your application… Laser Everything has an excellent video on this and the procedure works with any laser using any material… You’ll use this your entire lasing life…

Yes, but I’ve never done it with anodized aluminum cards and the co2. Only on my fiber. The video uses them.

@Bulldog is an expert with all types of materials… Both cards and the Norton tile method…

This is one of the most challenging uses for a laser…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

thanks jack
the video was very informative

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.