Picture won't frame/etch on glass rotary. Only makes a line

Hey everyone, HELP!!

I’m trying to engrave a pint glass/wine glass etc. It’s my first time with glasses, I have my rotary set up, I followed some dude on YouTube on how to get the machines setup and to communicate but I’m having an issue with the picture. When I try to frame it, it is literally just a line. When I do other flat projects (wood, slate etc), it frames it to the size that I want (4"x4" for example) so I can center it and begin.
For whatever reason, the picture is not framing and only doing a line across. I even just hit start just to see what it would do and it only engraved a jagged line. I’ve changed it from inches to mm then back. Changed the job origin. It just won’t recognize that there is picture (2"x3" for example) and not just a line. If i hit preview, the picture is there like in other projects, it just doesn’t seem to recognize it other than a line.
Working in lightburn.
What am i doing wrong??

Have you reduced the speed and acceleration of that axis enough to let the rotary keep up?

If you haven’t, save the current machine settings, then reduce the axis speed and acceleration values by at least a factor of ten and see if that improves the result. If it’s better, but still not quite right, divide by ten again. Once it works, you can gradually increase the speed until it fails.

Then save those machine settings in a different file so you can swap back and forth as needed.

Thank you.
Please excuse my niaveness but how do you do that? I think I did, but I want to be sure.

Magic! :grin:

The LightbBurn rotary doc may be helpful:

Down near the bottom:

The steps per degree number, along with acceleration and maximum speed will need to be set in the appropriate location for the controller. […] For GRBL, it can be accessed in Edit > Machine Settings in LightBurn, under vendor settings for the A Axis.

More on tweaking the GRBL configuration:

The first time is baffling, the second time confusing, and after that it’s not too awful …

Thank you. I will give it a whirl. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::beers:

None of that seemed to have worked. It’s still just framing a line instead of the work area. :grimacing::thinking::triumph:

If you only get a line, the rotary doesn’t appear to be rotating…

Does the ‘test’ button in the Laser Tools → ‘test’ operate properly?

If the ‘test’ button isn’t working correctly, it simple isn’t going to work right.

Is there a configuration procedure for this rotary/machine?

:smile_cat:

Rotary is working. I just can’t seem to get the framing of the image to actually go to the machine. (I’m trying to upload a video and that won’t work either :triumph:)

I’m not the best with electronics and this just seems to be mocking me.

The limit for file size is 4mB and only certain types of files. If you have a video, put is somewhere, like Google drives and and post the link.

Does the ‘test’ button work?

Let it pass… these are a learning curve and when you think you have it, you realize … you don’t have it…

Just relax, sometimes it’s good to go do somehting else and let you mind process it in the background… Nice time for a cup of coffee…

I’ll be looking for the video… This probably should have been posted in the Ortur laser section… Maybe @OrturTech Gil has seen this before…

:smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.