Pinebook (Linux Laptop) won't start lightburn; reports "execvp: exec format error"

I picked up a Pinebook specifically to be the dedicated computer that could sit with my laser and keep it running… and I can’t get Lightburn to start running on it.

I’ve downloaded the latest version (1.4), and run its run script. Now when I try to run the program, I get the error message:

“Launching Lightburn (Failed)
execvp: exec format error”

The laptop is running Manjaro-ARM Linux, which is a flavor I’m not previously familiar with.

Sounds like the Pinebook is an ARM based computer. Note that ARM is not a supported CPU architecture for LightBurn.

The simple answer is to say LightBurn won’t work on your laptop.

However, if you want to explore this further I suggest reviewing this Topic where I have a proof-of-concept of LightBurn working on a Raspberry Pi. You may be able to leverage a similar strategy to get LightBurn working on your laptop. I’ll warn you, this is not for the faint of heart.

1 Like

Where can I find a list of the hardware it does support?
I took a skim of the RPi notes, and at a glance… I’d rather look to see if I can find a cheap, supported laptop somewhere instead of spending that much time wrestling with Linux.

Docs list minimum hardware requirements:
Installation & Setup - LightBurn Software Documentation

It doesn’t explicitly list x86 and x64 but take that as an assumption. I wouldn’t recommend getting anything but a 64-bit system at this point.

Apple ARM based chips are “supported” through Mac Rosetta emulation. There is currently no native ARM build.

I would not consider getting the license screen dispayed running Lightburn on a Pi successfully running Lightburn. You are emulating an Intel processor and the will find other problems soon. Those issues are not because of Lightburn, they are due to emulation. There are a number of issues currently running lightburn on current Linux versions. Apple used the Power PC for years and shifted to Intel several years ago. The MAC was never ARM based.
There is an official version of Linux to test against to use the Linux name on the distribution. Its not Ubuntu! The current Linux would be the latest stable release of Debian 11. I keep my Linux systems up to date as a developer and Lightburn 1.4.0 hasn’t worked on any of them yet. Lightburn 1.3 does and has worked, but I use Lightburn on Manjaro without any problems. There 1.3 bersion has worked flawlessly but 1.4 has memory issues due to kernel changes.
Linux is changing in many ways very rapidly and until these changes are completed may not be the best choice for running Lightburn until some of the external Lightburn libraries catch up. But as of this writing Lightburn 1.3 does work on Manjaro as of yesterdays release of Manjaro. I do keep my Debian releases up to date but currently have a Windows 10 and Windows 11 running Lightburn while I fully migrate to Windows 11. So I don’t have enough licenses to run on Manjaro and test on Debian. Manjaro is chosen for performance reasons over Debian 11. I hope this information helps.

This conversation may be somewhat off-topic but I’ll indulge.

Perhaps you didn’t review the entirety of that Topic? I demonstrate proof-of-burn in a followup. I’d suggest going through it again if you’re interested in the topic.

You may not be current on more recent developments. Apple introduced ARM based Macs in 2020. Currently their entire lineup other than Mac Pro is offered with ARM based chips.

Not sure where you’re getting this information but nothing like this exists and no certification process is required. If you’re aware of something specific please link to it.

Note that Debian itself is not tied to any specific kernel. Take a look at Debian GNU/Hurd or Debian GNU/kFreeBSD for reference.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.