Pixelated fonts when engraving with 10W diode

Hi there,

Newbie to engraving here. Just got in my TwoTrees TS3 10W diode yesterday and got started engraving on tumblers via the built-in rotary. The thing I would like to do is engrave high quality text on it, but something is definitely not working out.

This was the first text I engraved. The text itself looked way too pixelated and there seemed to be some offset to it. So I looked up how to set the offset in Lightburn, made a square with lines and got the following:

Definitely not looking good, you can see there’s a clear offset and a huge wobble in the lines. After adjusting the offset a little and playing with the rotary axis acceleration it got a lot better, almost to a point where I couldn’t see it with my bare eye. So I started to engrave some text again and got the following:

Now I have to be honest, I zoomed in quite a lot on this picture. It looks much and much better than it did, but the fonts are still pixelated quite a bit. Is there anyway I can improve this even further? Like I said, the offset and acceleration speed now seem okay, because the lines have improved quite a bit, but when I engrave text (that does look good when previewing) it’s still a bit pixelated.

Please note that this text is created and typed within Lightburn itself, I’m not copying or importing any kind of file into Lightburn.

How are you setting up your rotary? Through lightburn or the SD card?

Via the UI of the TS3. It no longer needs the SD card, I think this was on the first models only, you just click Rotary and turn the switch on the back.

1 Like

I just checked and I can do it that way, but have never tried it. I have always used the file on the card and never had the problem you show.

I think the lines you are seeing are the lasers path or dpi… A smaller dpi might help.

Might want to check the belts on the axes that you had to change the acceleration. I’d suspect the value is correct and you’re fixing it via software, along with slowing you down…

Just a thought…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

If you say ‘a smaller dpi’, do you mean less lines per inch? It’s now at 280 lines per inch as you can see down below.

I will check the belt in a few minutes

Yes…

You can probably try 508dpi, or 0.05mm… It will probably overlap, but it might give the finish you’re looking for.

Try it on one of the ‘problem’ pieces…

:smile_cat:

These are the settings I use on my TS3 for those types of tumblers.

Your DPI is definitely higer then mine was and I think that’s what solved it. Here’s what mine now looks with 500dpi

Pretty happy with this result, though I think I’ll have to play with the power now because it has some overlapping to it.

Regarding the belts: I did find that one of the belts on the rotary was more loose then the other ones. But I’m still not sure if it would be ‘out of spec’. You can check the video here:

It’s this belt:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.