Placing an equilateral triangle within a circle using LightBurn

Is it a tip or is it a trick? You decide. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Fun with geometryā€¦

Thatā€™s pretty cool.

In math class, we were required to show the proof, step by step. I loved that kind of work, but have totally lost it now.

Nice job @Stroonzo! And that voiceā€¦like butter, my friend. :slight_smile: What do you have on the list for your next ā€˜Tips and Tricksā€™? :wink:

(thank you, very helpful)

Iā€™m still thinking about that one.
Kind of like is math a discovery or an invention?

If youā€™ve got any more of those trick tips Iā€™m in your audience!

ā€œYesā€
ā€¦

1 Like

We have a winner!

Perfect example of ā€˜use it or loose itā€™ :slight_smile:

So, this was a trick for me personally a few weeks ago when I was drawing a replacement router base plate needing to have three screws evenly distributed along a circumference.

In most cases, Iā€™d reach for the circular array tool, but there was something (I donā€™t even remember what now) that I had to double check using this old compass and ruler trick.

See here that circular array of the top smaller circle builds the same snap points of an equilateral triangle:

Iā€™ll certainly make additional short tips in the future when I suspect that something I am doing could help others.

3 Likes

I get bored sometimes and as a joke make fake commercials like this:

Microsoft PowerApps Blurb

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a great method.
I use a simple one if I need to do that: just draw a hexagon.
Then draw 3 lines connecting every second corner - thatā€™s your equilateral triangle.
Then draw a circle of the same radius dimensions as the original hexagon, and align it over the top of the triangle.

I did the circular array for a 5 point star. Took forever to figure out how to delete the lines inside the star. Iā€™m still not sure how I got rid of them it but it worked.

Using the node editing tool, hover the mouse over the interior lines. Press the ā€œTā€ key on the keyboard to trim the line.

1 Like

Faster still:

Create a hexagon with the same center, width, and height, then just change the number of sides from 6 to 3.

2 Likes

This is why I always preface any demo with something along the line of ā€œhere is one approachā€. I am always amazed at the multitude of techniques possible as a means to an end. Certainly a testament to the adaptability that LightBurn offers to its user base.

1 Like

Not intended as a ā€œyouā€™re doing it wrongā€ by any stretch - I didnā€™t realize that the intersection points would give you two points on an equilateral, and it was a good illustration of using shape crossings as snapping points when drawing. (in hindsight, the math totally makes sense)

I spent 12 years teaching community college various computer languages. Grading (or trying to) I used to ask studentā€™s how they went down the path they did, sometimes it left me wonderingā€¦

Every body working on their own generally did it differently.

A good reason for hammering on them to document their work in the source. It became very clear when I had a relatively technical modification for their programs as an assignment. Then they learned they were modifying one of the other students code. Noticed a lot more useful comments in the source after thatā€¦ :slight_smile:

:smiley_cat:

I learned to comment in college. I submitted a final project in DBase 4 that was 3 printed pages long, and the prof had never seen it done in less than 10. DBase didnā€™t have a stack, so it wasnā€™t possible to write recursive code in the normal way.

Everyone else copied their main function 3 times, and made them call 1 to 2, then 2 to 3. Mine implemented a stack. I got the assignment back with the uncommented stack code circled in red with ā€œwhat does this do??ā€ next to it. Bonus points awarded for the clever solution, docked points for having no comments. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dislike the small amount of extra effort to comment my code or scripts (BUTā€¦ not nearly as much as I dislike NOT commenting and having no idea what I was thinking when I was developing, the context of the intent, or what the upstream or downstream dependencies are). :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.