Plaque for a solid air rifle case

This is a plaque in olive wood. It is 5mm thick by 140mm long and 80mm wide. It is finished with beeswax that slightly darkens the wood but accentuates the grain of the wood. LightBurn was used to apply the detail. I used a J-Tech 4.2W blue diode laser attached to a Shapeoko S3, along with a GRBL 8 bit controller. The traversal speed was 1000mm/min and the power was set to 20%. Before the burn the wood was finished using a range of silicon carbide discs in a random orbital sander and the final finish grade was 3000 grit. A creme of beeswax and walnut oil was applied as finish.

1 Like

That came out great! I appreciate the lasered wood grain ON wood grain.

Thanks for the encouraging comment, Colin. I was trying to engrave a piece of 2mm thick aluminium with a DDE bit but the .svg image had 648 unclosed lines and the tedium of closing each line separately made me give up that attempt. When I finally get hold of a stacked diode laser like the 48W Ikier Pro Max, then I hope to be able to make a more significant impact on aluminium and brass. I saved the .svg image file as a .png file from within Affinity Designer and imported the .png file into LightBurn.

1 Like