Power and Speed if Laser Set Higher

Just a quick, simple question for this. I didn’t want to ruin it by experimenting to see what works best.
I have to raise the laser on my D1 Pro 20w for it to go over the lip of this tray. Should I adjust the power and/or the speed to accommodate the lift? TIA!

That really depends on how close to the edges you need to engrave, if you keep a margin a little bit more than half the width of the module you can lower the module inside the tray and focus there, otherwise it will be hit and miss with results trying to engrave with laser out of focus, test on a scrap of wood at the height you need for clearance and again focused to see what the difference is likely to be.

1 Like

Yeah I can do that. Thanks.

Pick up some black masking tape… You can put it over the material and do a test run to see if the graphic is going where you want it…

I do this a lot on expensive glassware… tape it up, get the graphic right anyway…

Figuring power and speed is an issue, not matter what kind of laser or experience you have…

It’s not too bad if you can re-run the job again… but you can’t touch/move it, or it’s won’t line up… This works best with machine that home, so you can restart them in a known position.

Pick up something as close to the material as possible to test on…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Sorry for my ignorance…what do I do with the masking tape exactly? Does it keep it from going through to the wood?

Lower the power to the laser so it just marks the tape… when you get it oriented where you want it you can peel the tape off it…

Start learning how to use the materials library… I keep settings for engraving and one for marking tape in the materials library.

Just another way to see how it’s going to end up, orientation wise… I like tape, but anything that is cheap, you can lase and lays flat should work…

Mainly it’s to see if the job run smoothly … kind of a drag to have a perfect engraving and the head hits it and knocks it off…

You are still going to have to figure the proper speed and power…

Good luck

:smile_cat:

Okay. That’s useful! Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.