Power min/max, power scale and Co2 tube firing threshold test

I am trying to create a Co2 tube firing threshold test card and the hard results seem different from the preview. Similar to a material test card, this one simply shows your laser tubes minimum firing threshold point. I understand that most lasers won’t fire below 10 percent, and I am creating a test card to find the exact minimum where mine, or yours fires. I’m pretty sure I understand power scale as designed, but it seems the results look different from the preview, which looks accurate. Please look at this, try the file and let me know if it is in fact correct. Thanks!

Threshold Test.lbrn2 (169.8 KB)

The laser controller may set a hard lower limit intended to cut off erratic operation due to temperature variations. For experimental purposes, you can change the limit.

For the Ruida KT332N in my OMTech 60 W laser, it’s in Edit → Machine Settings → Vendor Settings → Laser Settings → Laser 1 Minimum Power %.

Mine arrived set to 10% and I dropped it to 8%, which didn’t change much at all.

I would think you’d want to ‘fill’ the blocks… you are only getting the outline, just like the preview… ?

Find a spot it’s stable at minimum power. The problem is today it might be 9%, tomorrow with a different ambient temperature it might be a little different… Down the road as your tube gets older it will also change…

From what I can tell there is potential for damage a very low levels… Mine will lase at a little above 9%, but I usually run it at 12% minimum so I know it’s actually resonating…

I think this is the reason you can limit the lasers max/min pwm on the controller… as @ednisley suggested…

Good luck… let us know what you’ve found out…

:smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.