Power Settings Won't Adjust

did you try rd works to see how rd works works?

I believe LB sends over the settings for each project. Machine settings look ok when I bring them up in LB and click READ. Iā€™m thinking my issue is a setting somewhere, and if not that, the power supply, but it engraves perfectly and spikes power for all ā€œLineā€ engravesā€¦baffledā€¦

OMTech had me do a video with RDWorks and I could not get the laser to fireā€¦they said it was because I had PEN selected. I did run the test file the laser shipped with (taking software settings out of the picture), and it did pretty good. It burned through a little, but the settings are for and burned into plexi shipped with the machine.

Carmel,
Any luck with your issue?

No but I am checking with the company I bought it from, maybe they can help me

Pen selected?

Hi Carmel,
If/when you get it figured out, please post how you fixed it so others on this site can avoid what we have been going through. Iā€™ve seen at least 2 other posts, but they never come back to tell how they fixed it.

I contacted OMTech and they wanted me to download RDWorks, open a Youtube account, run a test file, video it and email them the link. Well, I did all of that, but the laser did not fire (operator error), and when they saw the video they said it was because I had the test done in ā€œPenā€ mode on RDWorks and to do it using ā€œScanā€ modeā€¦so I did, same results.

As mentioned Iā€™m sure RDWorks will fire and that it was operator error by someone (me) that has spent over a month learning LB. Crappy support as far as Iā€™m concern from OMTech! Again, the above file using only the laser with settings for plexi printed pretty good with only a couple of burn throughs on 1/8", so I have to believe the issue is something software related that is causing the tube to fire overly hot when it gets the signal in Line mode.

Internally, on all these controllers they have ā€˜speed limitsā€™ so to speak. This includes max speed of the axes and other limits. It also sets both ends of the laser power range.

Lightburn (or any other program) can tell the controller anything it wants but if it goes outside of the set internal limits of the controller, you will get the value closest to that limit. If the minimum is set to 40% and you send it 10% you get 40%. If maximum is set to 80% and lightburn sends it at 90% you will get the 80% limit. The controller has the final say and rightly so. Protect the hardware at all costs. :slight_smile:

When you read the controller, what is the laser minimum and maximum set at?
Itā€™s under ā€˜Laserā€™ I believe.

There is a limited number of things that can do this. It has to be a configuration issue or a hardware failure.

I understood this was solved. :frowning:

I had less than stellar support with OMTech Laser. I run Linux and have Firefox, Chrome and Opera and on all three browsers I cannot go to OMTech sit. All of them sit and spin on the loading.

In their magnificent knowledge they advised me they only support Windows :frowning: Couldnā€™t convince them otherwise and wouldnā€™t generate any help even though Iā€™m sure they are losing money over it.

Give you some idea of the smarts theyā€™re hiring, at least on phone support. The machine itself has been great.

Hi Jack,
Thank you for the response! Iā€™ve unwantedly kinda hijacked Chrisā€™ post. I set out only asking if he got his issue fixed and it has carried over that there are at least two of use on here with a similiar issue. I have not yet heard back from Chris.

I just sent OMTech a video of the issueā€¦seems to be happening with RDWorks also: https://youtu.be/H-ZxKRdIt3U

I have set lightburn to Min=0.01%, Max=0.01% and it still burns through. Now after 20 minutes ago I know that it does the same thing in RDWorks, so it must be a hardward issue. I have set the Ruida controller to extremely low percentages, but I was told that the controller has no affect if using LB.

It engraves fine in LB and RDW, but in LB Line Mode or RDW Cut Mode (low %) it jumps to what appears to be full power.

Thank you,
Mark C.

Watched the videoā€¦ Interesting.

Somethings controlling the power or this would not happenā€¦ Clarify the difference between ā€˜engraves fineā€™, am I correct in that itā€™s set to image, not any of the lines? And what image mode?

Also, there must be some kind of power control looking at the video and seeing the other ā€˜testā€™ engravings look like they are at lower power. Is this correct? They donā€™t appear as toasty, if you know what I mean.

The signal going into the power supply is digital, generally. After that, it has to become ā€˜analogā€™ to control the power supply.

Itā€™s possible the digital to analog conversion (although simple) isnā€™t as linear as it should be. Correctly climbs then just goes to maximum. Havenā€™t seen this in a laser, but in similar equipment. We usually look at hardware last, for a reason. :slight_smile:

Hi Jack,
The machine settings-laser max/min are set to 2% & 98%

If I understand your question correctly, In LB there are the different modes: Line, Fill, Fill+Line, Offset Fill. Using Fill mode works perfectly. If I use Line or Fill+Line modes, it jumps to full power during the Line part of the burn.

In the video I had 2%min & 8%max, but the test burn jumped to full power, and you can see where all of the letters burned through.

So, only Line Mode is an issueā€¦if trying to burn a line and not cut through the wood.

I was wondering if for whatever reason maybe something was triggering some sore of oscillation, or sending a wrong setting (or something) and making the power supply jump to max out.

Thatā€™s really odd. Since fill+line is supposed to do a line after it fills. These are connected somehow, I suspect.

If itā€™s hardware, who knows what itā€™s doing. However, Iā€™m still leaning elsewhere.

Iā€™m fishing here:

How does this effect the cutout of your text?
Does it always do this on a certain layer number?
Does it go to and stay at 100% for the layer?

Iā€™m looking for other indicators, besides covid-19 :slight_smile:

What is the firmware version on your controller?
Wondering if it would be worth trying a different version to see if that makes a difference.

I donā€™t know about the firmware. This stuffs been beat up pretty bad, so I doubt thatā€™s it.

I canā€™t think of where or what path it would take that would be different and indicate an area to check. Do you have any kind of test equipment?

I still keep going back to program or firmware configuration.

I need to get going, so Iā€™ll be off for a while.

Take care.

Hi Jack,
Good deal on the fishing, I hope you are having good luck!

During a fill+line, the fill works fine, but during the final step of running the line around the fill areas it jumps to full power and burns through.

Cutouts work proper.
It does this 100% of the time Line Mode is selected, doesnā€™t seem to matter which layer.
It goes to and stays at 100% during the Line Mode cut of a layer, but only during the Line portion of a Fill+Line layer. Fill works properā€¦

Hi Hank,

It looks like Ver 8.00.67?

Test equipment would only be Volt/Ohm meter and installed milliamp meterā€¦

Hey all sorry for havenā€™t checking back lately.

I have been jumping through hoops with manufacturing trying to figure it out. I have been using LB and RD and neither have produced a change in power.

No one from LB has mentioned a fix. Iā€™m about a month in and still no results.

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your post and the reply to your post. :blush: There are at least two other of us having the problem, and I see others have posted months gone by, but then the thread dies without knowing what the end result was.

Iā€™ve been working on this issue for 2-3 weeks spending many hours surfing the internet without resolution. Iā€™m surprise that the issue is not more common. Sounds like we have similar brand lasers.

Question: Does yours engrave ok using the fill mode? Mine does, but line mode does the full power thing.

We have had several people reply to your post, and I started another post some time agoā€¦people here are trying to help! It is so mind boggling that we canā€™t figure it out. I did send the video above to OMTech today and Iā€™m waiting to hear backā€¦hopefully something helpful to try.