Preview disconnected parts of image

Greeting fellow engravers. I’m a couple months into my journey but still figuring out some basics.

One challenge I have is creating (or tracing) an intricate image. I’ll get it looking great, burn it, and when i pick it up, gaurenteed parts I needed connected fall out. Its easy to imagine if you picture cutting out the letter “A” - the center will fall out.

I’m good joining the pieces back in, but I don’t want to burn the piece before I find another floater I missed.

Is there any way in Lightburn - or other methods - where you can preview an image and see the disconnected parts?

Thanks in advance!!

Have you tried using LightBurn Window->Preview? It shows you exactly how the burn will be implemented.

I have, and do, and it gives a great representation of the output, but even then I miss pieces. If I take a screenshot of a small section of a preview image:

I know those are all cut lines, but I have a hard time telling which pieces will fall through and which will stay connected.

Perhaps there is no trick to it and its just something you learn with experience

You will want to separate the engrave process from the cut process. That is the beauty of the layer system.

Get you settings for the engraving, place them on layer 00 (black)

Highlight the entire object, press OFFSET outward, at 0 distance. Select outer shape only. Set Red layer to be your cut layer.

If you want small parts to be cut through that are inside the total outline, you will need to UNGROUP the object to select individual shapes for movement to the Red layer

1 Like

Thanks James! I’ll give this a try tomorrow when there’s no Super Bowl to distract me!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.