Preview screen enhancement

Last night I was cutting two layer (two color) Acrylic sheet. The sheet was green on top and red underneath. I was working on a logo that would be scanned onto the sheet.

As I was working it became apparent that the job would be much easier if I was able to change the colors shown on the cut preview screen to match the actual material.

So that the background was Green and everywhere it scanned was red. The default of a white background with the scanned portions showing black certainly helped visualize the final product but actually seeing the real color would have been very helpful.

Are there any plans to allow setting the background/scanned colors on the preview screen?

You can go to the Window menu, and click “Filled” either coarse (faster) or smooth(slower) and I think that’ll show you what you’re looking for. It’s while you’re designing though, and not in preview.

Is there any way to change the color it is filled with?

It’s determined by your layer color.

1 Like

1 Like

If you are talking about the preview screen that you get to by choosing Alt - P then you are limited to Black & White currently. There is no way to change the prview window colours. But as Blake has pointed out, you can assign colours in the design window, and that will accomplish what you want.

1 Like

That is certainly helpful (I had not tried to use filled shapes in the design mode, since I was told LB is designed to function better with wireframes.) But it does not really help to see what the final design will look like on two color material, since the shapes to sit on top of each other in uncontrollable ways, (no move forward or back)

Yeah, I can’t position the layers either. I’ve tried page up and down, they’re useless. I wonder what’s up with that. @LightBurn

If you’re in “filled rendering” mode, “pushing” or 'sending" to rearrange artwork is completely ignored - drawing is always done in layer order for that mode.

With filled rendering mode, in order to handle the fill, LightBurn puts everything in the entire layer into a “bucket” and draws it all at once. The reason is complicated to explain, but it’s basically because there’s no requirement for two shapes to be “related” to each other in order to work as one - If you draw two circles, one inside the other, the inside one cuts a hole out of the middle of the outer one, even though they’re distinct shapes. In order to mess with the draw order, LightBurn would have to figure out which things “go together” every time you touched something, and shuffle them around, and it’d be really slow.

LightBurn was really intended to be used in “wireframe” mode, with filled mode used for spot checking.

1 Like