Problem with stepping motors

Hi !

Here is the video of the stepping motors’ cables swapping. As i said in the video, when trying the X axis on the arrows it worked well because it was the Y axis stepping motor working and when i tried the Y axis on the arrows (i said X axis instead of Y axis when i pressed the up and down arrows :sweat_smile: seems it’s a common mistake jkwilborn :wink:), the motor went berserk again since it was the X axis stepping motor…

I think i will try to replace the X axis home switch (you can see the new one in the video :wink: )

I’ll let you know in -i don’t how long i’ll take me to replace it :grin: - what happens.

Olivier.

EDIT : My previous message didn’t send because of spam restrictions :
" Hi everyone !
Thanks for all your messages. I will try to do that tomorrow (Swap the stepper motor drivers).
I bought a new one (not from your link since i live in France :sweat_smile: ) and if the test is positive that it is the X driver’s failure, i’ll replace it."

I’ll keep you posted with questions, videos and pictures :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Olivier.

So not a driver problem. I don’t know what failed stepper motor looks like, but still looks like when they are driven into something. So you checked that it moves freely when power is removed, so I would try stepper motor.

You mean you would try to replace the stepper motor that is in fault (ie the X axis one) by a new one ?

The problem is still with that stepper motor or the X axis. If both motors are the same I would swap motors. If problem, then is still on X axis it is an X axis problem.

Alright, i tried everything except swapping motors. I’ll try that but all the cable management is discouraging me :sweat_smile:

I don’t know exactly what you swapped. Did you do A or B?

You need to do a swap at A to determine if the controller is sending the correct signals. If the problem follows the swap, the controller isn’t sending the right signals. We would need to look at that motor driver setup… if the controller broke :man_shrugging:

It’s much easier to swap cables…

This is my motor driver… The bottom connector is goes to both phases of your motor. The top signals come from the controller.

Make sense?

:smile_cat:

I was editing my previous message but you were faster :grin:

In fact i think swapping physically the motors won’t change a thing if i already tried swapping all the cables no ?
I tried the brand new home switch on the X axis and it lights up when i touch it with the screwdriver. So i guess this one is working.
About the motors i swapped all this :

Nothing changed. The same motor was in fault.

I thought you stated the problem moved? Is this not correct?

You should only swap one pair at a time, not both. Swap the purple ones only and see what happens. These are the control signals from the Ruida.

i was certainly not clear in my video sorry.
Swapping the purple ones doesn’t move the problem. It’s the same motor that is in fault (the one physically on the X axis).

I found this thread in which you answered jkwilborn :

It is the same stepper motor. Maybe it is the same problem ? just need to change it ?

On CW motor website, the closest to my reference is the one in green on the picture.

What do you think ?

Thank you again for all your effort !! :pray:

How about the green pair?

Same as with the purple ones… Still the same motor that is in fault.

Guess you will have to replace the motor…

Good luck… let us know…

1 Like

AHAH i guess so … :smiling_face_with_tear:

Thank you for all your time !
I’ll do that and will keep in touch as soon as it’s done !

A newbie question (another one :laughing:) about the forum : Do i check the solution button now or when i will replace the motor ?

Thanks again to all of you !!!

Olivier.

1 Like

When you actually get a solution.

1 Like

Ok thanks :smiling_face:

It could also be the cable or connector, but I doubt it… I’d go with the motor if I couldn’t see any damage on the wiring.

Anytime cables go through drag chains or other moving objects, it’s good to give them a good look.

Good luck … we’ll be waiting for your success.

Hello,

I found this motor : Nema 23hs22-2804s.

Do you think it would fit ? It seems there’s a lot more torque but i was thinking It who can do more can do less. Am i wrong ?

Considering the specifications, will the driver need to be configured again ? Or could i expect a plug-n-play installation ? :pray: :grin:

I was planning to replace both motors so it would be the same and keep the other one just in case.

the specifications of my motors are on a post above (highlighted in green). i can repost if needed…

Thanks again.

Olivier aka the newbie among the newbies :joy:

Face the truth and realize when you change anything out on these, it’s really plug and :pray:

If it works, great…

My old eyes can’t really read the specifications pretty well, but I did notice that the holding torque on one is Nm the other is in Kg/cm. Did you convert them before you made a comparison.

NEMA is a standard… They should fit as a NEMA 23 is the case size, excluding depth, and some other items.

Data-Sheet-Stepper-Motor-Support.pdf.txt (839.0 KB)

Check shaft diameter…

Good luck

I would just get the same motor. Are X and Y motors both the same? If so I would swap them. I personally don’t think you have a bad motor, but hard to remotely diagnose.