Protect photo engraving on wood from liquids

hello everyone I have been looking around if there is any paint or other product to protect the engraving of a photo on wood after having engraved it I was also thinking about some system such as the hot laminator you usually do a treatment after the engraving
thank you and sorry for my bad english

No need to be sorry for your English, you are doing great!
I actually use a sealer/ sanding sealer before engraving which needs to be lightly sanded. Also use laser capable cover paper and laser engrave through it. If you wish to apply finish just to the engraving, a water based poly urethane works great. You can also remove the cover paper and spray the urethane on the entire slab.

1 Like

[quote=“ferg, post:2, topic:67242”]
poliuretano a base d’acqua
[/quote]Thanks, it’s very kind of you
I was not familiar with water-based polyurethane paint I tried with a water-based waxed effect paint but when the engraving step is altered many details disappear I would like to protect all the details of the engraving from contact with liquids

Thanks, it’s very kind of you
I was not familiar with water-based polyurethane paint
I tried a water-based paint with a waxed effect
but when I apply it the engraving is altered and many details disappear I would like to protect all the details of the engraving from contact with liquids

I tried your suggestion to use polyurethane paint but the details of the engraved photo are lost like when water falls on a pencil drawing

I assume you used clear poly spray although I would think brush on should be okay… You wouldn’t normally want to use a colored paint.
I think we need a photo of what you are getting/doing if you can.
I do not understand how you are losing the details of your engraving.

I used the brush

as you can see on the left the cat’s whiskers have disappeared

I am guessing but you may not be making deep enough engrave. I have done a bunch of photos etc. on wood and I have never had your problem. Do you clean the engraving with a brush or vacuum before you apply a finish? If there isn’t sufficient burn and depth to the image I can see where it would be removed with your process.

I engrave the photographs with a 60w co2 laser at 12/13% power and 200/250 speed on polished poplar plywood and with the treatment of sodium bicarbonate and the engraving takes place with air assistance when the job is finished if I pass over a dry brush or hands the image remains intact there is no soot or charred wood but if it comes into contact with water the details of the image are lost

I’m not sure how the wood engraving will be used that it would get wet, but I am testing a couple coasters and key fobs that I made, about 2 months ago, with coconut oil rubbed in really good with a soft lint-free towel, 2-3 times. Then I put on a thin layer of plug wax (used for mushroom spawning logs) on by hand, then buffed it in with my Dremel and a felt polishing disc. I’ve had good results so far. That being said, I haven’t had any hot mugs on them yet. So time will tell. I would have used Johnson’s Floor Wax Paste if I had some. That stuff works wonders to protect my mom’s hardwood floors.

Hi I used Satin Clear Protective Spray on leather engraving and it works like a charm.

1 Like

hello and thanks for your advice