Proximity to Natural Gas Water Heater

Just curious, is it safe to run my laser in the garage directly beside my home’s natural gas water heater? I haven’t been able to find anyone discussing this exact issue. Anyone else have their laser in close proximity to their natural gas water heater?

Thanks in advance to all contributors.

I can absolutely not see any risk in having a laser manufacture in the same room that has a gas installation / water heater. I have some professional competence and when the gas installation is done correctly, it must also be possible to use it in a blacksmith’s workshop or similar.

The only time you would have a problem is if there is a small gas leak and the item you are burning actually turns into a flame. Just use common sense and be careful. If it was me, I would try to find a different location if possible

If you have a gas leak, it will find an ignition source.

:smile_cat:

Yep, the pilot light under the water heater.

I suppose the pilot light is already an ‘open flame’, so what’s one more, right?

It will find an ignition source. A/C turning on… anything that switches mechanically or even a tool falling can spark. It will find a source…

Conversely, gas has an odorizer so you can smell it.

You should not run your machine without supervision and I’d think you could smell any gas leaks. Another good reason to ensure good airflow around the workshop.

Proper maintenance should alleviate any real level of threat or danger.

Good luck

I’m a little puzzled by this discussion. If there are similar guidelines and legal requirements in connection with gas water heaters and gas heating appliances in general, as apply in Europe, then there should be no doubt as to whether this type of appliance may be used in housing and in industry. Of course there are none and there must be no leaks in a gas installation otherwise the installation is not legal and life threatening.
I honestly do not remember a single gas accident in my country that can be traced to defective or leaky gas installations in private households, campsites or motorhomes.

They seem overly common here…

If you witnessed the way that most tradesmen apply their trades here in the US, you wouldn’t be quite as nonchalant about assuming all is well and perfect with every installation and maintenance job performed. As for ‘guidelines and legal requirements’, you’re assuming that people here know about the rules and care to follow them.

It must be nice living somewhere that you can simply take all things for granted. Might have been that way back in my Grandpa’s version of the USA, but not today.

But thanks for the contribution. It’s good to know that some people can sleep easy at night without wondering what the last Johnny Handyman might have done wrong to put your family at risk. We just moved into this house and I’m spending just about every spare minute of every day discovering and fixing the ‘good work’ of the people who lived here and/or were contracted to do work here before I came along.

1 Like

I can see your point and my post was certainly not meant as a comparison of who has the best or right system in terms of safety with gas or electrical installations.
We do not think about it on a daily basis, but you can e.g. do not sell a house without a certificate which documents that the electricity, sewerage and gas installation is approved and in order, in fact you will be held liable if it turns out that there are illegal installations, long after you have sold a house.
But such a system requires a “relative intervention” in one’s freedom and can be interpreted as surveillance. (but we do not perceive it that way)

Doesn’t apply here

Actually it does apply. My home inspection before we bought the house, addressed all the electrical and gas connections. And, if you have work done, use a reputable union shop, their HVAC and plumbing employees do good quality work. I know, as I am a 43 year member of a UA local union. It’s the Joe Handyman, or owner who does substandard work, as you stated.
Charlie

You can sell any home to anyone… it’s 'buyer beware".

You paid extra for this ‘option’, there is no law forcing this to occur before, during or after escrow.

What does the liability fall if it comes apart in 6 months?

Do you hold them liable for problems they can’t possibly see without disassembly?

Being the devils advocate here… Been there and done that a few times…

Simple fact, you do the best you can, new or used… pay your money and take your chances.

We all should be keenly aware of that… being fans of Chinese Laser/Engravers :crazy_face:

1 Like

If you sell a house with an ‘as is’ clause, they may still schedule an inspection, and the buyer pays for that. I just sold a house to a guy, it is a sellers market right now. I sold it to him ‘as is’. He had it inspected to find out what he would have to fix and repair before he bought it. And yes, a Union shop will stand behind their work for a limited time. You do get what you pay for. Personally, I don’t think that a water heater in the area will be an issue with a laser engraver near it. Have fun and enjoy it!
Charlie