Purchasing Material

What is the best resource for purchasing material for laser engraving and cutting? What is the go too wood material for Engraving and cutting?

I find Occoch Hardwoods a go-to for plywood and veneer. [https://ocoochhardwoods.com/]

1 Like

We use veneered MDF as well as MDF without veneer.

Crazy Craft Couple in Texas

Makerstock

Baltic Birch is a hit and miss deal as far as I am concerned. We have little satisfaction when lasering.

I have always had very good luck with Alder. It has a very nice closed grain, is attractive when finished, and burns pretty uniformly with the laser.

If you have some basic woodworking and finishing skills, it is an easy wood to work with, and you can make your own plaques instead of buying finished ones.

For a number of years we made a children’s stool with their name on it from Alder wood.
A company in Oregon made 4’ x 8’ panels 3/4" in thickness.
We bought 400 panels of it before they sold to another outfit who doubled the price.
Finished it with two coats of lacquer, they were beautiful.

Wow! 400 4’ x 8’ panels of 3/4" alder lumber! That’s a LOT of alder!

That was a lot of stools.
Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 7.13.48 PM

Those were very nice stools for the kids… something that they would want to keep and pass on to their own kids someday.

Well done!

Dave,
There were close to 6,000 of those stools we manufactured.
We had one man putting the pieces together with recessed screws then wood buttons to cover the holes. Needless to say he got away with sitting down a lot.

We shipped the stools all over the world but mostly to the USA.

Thanks for the compliment