Puzzled about cutting 3mm Plywood Sculpfun S9 with air assist

Hey out there.
Looking for some input. Scratching my head a bit here.
I have been trying to cut 3mm plywood from Makerstock.
I am running at 90 Percent power at 250mm 3 passes and get about 90% successfully cut.
I run 90% power at 250mm and 4 passes…same result.
I am a bit puzzled.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Richard,
Run the test card ( from the LAHobbyGuy) and you will have a good idea what settings will work for cuts etc. I also have the S9 and it gives you a great guide for settings.
universal-engrave-cut-test-V10.lbrn2 (2.0 MB)

1 Like

I would suggest cutting a little faster. The slower you cut, the more charring you create. And the laser has to go through this before cutting the next layer. So, I suggest using something like 400 or 500 mm/min at 85% and 5-6 passes.

Interesting.
Thanks for the information. I notice there is a lot of charm on the edges. I will give your suggestion a try.

I think the tact that everything has an ideal speed/feed rate it on track. I can cut through with many different speeds/feeds, but there a relative small window on where the best cut is.

A good cut, has so little charring that you have a hard time seeing it on a tissue. At the other ends of the spectrum, your fingers are black…

I use a co2, but the general concept is the most power you can afford or are comfortable with, along with the fastest feed rate.

Good luck

:smile_cat:

Thanks Jack
I will go play with it. Right now the charring is bad. While the laser vents outside…the cut wood stinks. ick.
I confess I am really new to the laser but have worked with CNC and 3D printers so it’s not all new. That said I know I have more to learn.

cheers

Unfortunately, as with most things, the more you learn the more you understand that you know less about than you though.

:smile_cat:

hahahah that’s so true.

Hey Melvin.
I gave 500mm/m at 85% power. I ran 7 passes and it cut great. I had one spot that wasn’t all the way through. But other then that it was great. In fact the char seemed less severe on these cuts.
Thanks for the assistance.

1 Like