Questions and problems with Ortur LM2P, Lightburn and so on

A collection of questions and problems:

• i loaded some files from thingieverse and 3axis and tried cutting today. Some files seem to be faulty. (e.g. in the O of school bus one half is not cut) But in the file I could not find the error, the lines all looked okay and the shapes closed. → Can this be due to the file formats? The school bus (with the broken Os) is for example a DXF file
  • the results of two files are VERY close together. Others are way too loose and will only hold with glue. → Can the Kerf be wrong in the file in advance? or just set to a different laser. Is there a way to check this somehow?
  • I have drawn a file myself, but he has not cut completely in the first attempt (have asked about it already in another post, where the problem was discussed, but without solution). In the second attempt it did. The head moves the line, but the laser stays off. → What the hell can this be?
  • How do you fix your workpieces in the work area? After cutting, some parts come loose because of the internal wood tension and stick up, so they get stuck on the laser head or shield and move everything. Or because the board itself is wavy, the laser sometimes gets caught on it.
  • If you change a geometric figure in Lightburn to “trace path” - does that change the line that is traced? Did exactly that, started the same job again and the line was offset about 1mm inward. Could that be the reason?
  • Last question: I wanted to engrave a circle, set the laser power too weak, set it higher and tried again. Without moving anything, same job. And the circle is more of an ellipse, very different from the circle before.

There’s a lot here. Some of this probably needs to be a separate topic. I’ll try to give some general feedback.

Suggest you open this as a separate topic. Attach an example of the problem that you’re seeing so that it helps people understand what you’re dealing with.

This will depend on the design itself but it could be either, both, or neither of the suggestions you’ve made. Again, open as a different topic and include the .lbrn file for review.

I’m not really following. So it did cut out or it didn’t? Assuming cut settings are correct there’s really no case where this would happen outside of a hardware issue. There might be something in your setup that you might have missed.

How did you use trace path on a geometric figure? Trace path is only eligible for images.

It’s possible that either your belts or wheels are overtensioned and is causing binding. Review all mechanical items for proper tension and fit. Your laser head should be able to move freely to all corners without much effort but also have minimal slop.

@berainlb Okay, I will open new topics seperately for the questions. My intention was to not “spam” with several topics at once, that’s why I opened only one. :slight_smile:

To answer some of your responses:

I’m not really following. So it did cut out or it didn’t? Assuming cut settings are correct there’s really no case where this would happen outside of a hardware issue. There might be something in your setup that you might have missed.

It cut partly. :sweat_smile:

In the lower hexagon, do you see the two lines in the bottom tip? They should become an interior hexagon within the hexagon, just like on the piece above. But that was then cut in the second attempt.

On the leftmost hexagon, the left corner is not closed. Maybe you can still recognize it. The laser left out a few millimeters, also in the second pass (the cut is missing again at the exact same place).

On the second picture you can also see the circle (two passes with different laser power), which has become an ellipse on the second pass.

the file is:
Medal Hanger.lbrn (30.7 KB)

I haven’t checked all the mechanical parts yet (because that was your suggestion), but since nothing was changed in shape so far in other projects, is it at all likely that it’s the belts?

How did you use trace path on a geometric figure? Trace path is only eligible for images.

If I remember correctly, I drew the hexagons directly in Lightburn. With a right click I had the option “convert to path”.

For the other questions, I will open new threads and look at the mechanical parts from the laser again to see if anything is loose or the belts have too much tension.
Thank you for your help so far!

The reason for separating out those specific items is because they were likely different root cause issues that were not necessarily a quick answer. More focused discussion would be warranted.

There is nothing in the design that would cause this that I can see. If the laser is cutting out during those times but with the head still moving then I suspect a hardware issue. Check your cabling from controller to laser module. Is there any damage to the line? Check the connectors. Is there any discoloration or evidence of overheating?

It doesn’t seem so much like an ellipse. I think one circle is offset from the other. This is likely some lost steps. Most likely loose belts. Any time where some operation is not repeating consistently is almost always going to be a mechanical issue. Review those as indicated.

Got you. Convert to path is different that trace image which I thought you meant by trace path. Convert to path will have no bearing on size. I think this is the same mechanical issue as the circles. Solve one and the other will also go away.

Okay, I finally managed to check all the connections and cables and found nothing lose, discolorations or something like that.
On the other hand: I cut the said design again and it was totally without any problems… I really don’t understand… :sweat_smile:

Did you change any of the cut settings? Some of these issues might only occur during a high enough speed setting.

No, I don’t think so. I also test this again at the next opportunity.
But if it runs now for the time being, I am satisfied. The only error that occurred last time was a triggering of the shock sensor. I didn’t even touch the table and the laser moved very slowly (200m/min). :man_shrugging: But as long as it’s just that…

Ortur has made firmware updates that may help the shock and flame sensor.

This may help for next time.

1 Like