Quick Question for someone that knows about Router Settings (Static IP)

Last router I purchased, worked a bit different… I set the dhcp range and it would not ‘talk’ to anything outside that range.

I would let me bind the address to the mac, but it had to be with the dhcp range… this drove me nuts when I first set it up… I always had my static devices below 100, can’t do it on this router…

If his works the same way it won’t see it… I looked at the docs also, but it wasn’t very clear at all (never found any reference to static, except the ISPs) how to bind the mac with the ip…

I think it would be smart to let the router get itself back up and on-line then figure out why the Ruida isn’t seen, if that’s the case…

:smile_cat:

It should be easy to set a static IP as long as you can see the laser on your router in the app. That should let you do it.

@jkwilborn & @berainlb I am having the same issue again. Which was what I was trying to explain. I guess I need to go to a wifi board somewhere. My IP address on my router changed overnight, now my laser is no longer recognized. With the current setup, I will have to pull the IP and gateway every time I got to use the laser, then add it in lightburn. Thanks for the help. I will try to find wifi people somewhere. I figured most people here had already done this to get their lasers to work and it should have been a simple answer.

Which IP address? What did it change to?

I’m not following this. The IP of your laser is static and is not managed by the router.

Where did you end up previously? You didn’t follow up so wasn’t clear where you ended.

Did you end up using a non DHCP managed portion of the IP range? Or possibly use the static DHCP assignment?

Meg… it won’t matter if you go wifi or not, it’s an ip issue that needs to be cleared up.

In all probability you need to find out how to let your router know that the lasers address is ‘static’ or can’t be changed.

This is the root of your issue in all probability. All tcp connection only ‘live’ so long and the ip is re-issued. If something is off line or on line the order of how the ip address are issued changes and your laser cannot follow.

Relax and have a coffee…

Check what you have to do to set your router up so it knows not to use the lasers address.

Good luck

Sorry I have MS and words get mixed up some times when its flaring up. I meant networking (not wifi) and I didn’t mean for the post to come off like I was upset. I really appreciate your help.

@berainlb the router’s ip address changed. Which was my initial question, how do I set it up as static (not the default dhcp). When I tried to change it to static in the router, it kept failing (in the router). I thought it was something simple like me not knowing how to setup up a static IP and entering the addresses wrong (you have to manually key them). I just wanted to know what numbers to use for the static IP in the router.
To get my laser to work, I have to enter the new IP from the router into the laser. I don’t enter anything about the laser into the router, it is recognized automatically. But it stops being recognized when the IP address I enter into Ruida from the router changes on the router, but not Ruida. If that makes sense.

You’re going to need to take a screenshot or something as this is ambigious. The router will likely have 2 IP addresses, depending on how your cable company assigns IP addresses: likely one public IP that’s outward facing and assigned through the cable modem, and the other is your internal IP address which is mostly likely not to change which will generally also be used as the gateway address for all other devices on the network.

I think you’re changing something other than what you think you’re changing. The static IP in those cases is almost certainly for IP assignment from the Cable company. Those are rare. You should not need to touch the router IP assignment coming from cable company. The fact that your internet is working is evidence that things are okay there.

Again, this is where screenshots will help. I suspect you’re attempting to set the wrong static IP.

What specifically have you change on the laser side? What are the values?

I think there may be a fundamental misunderstanding of the relationship between the components in this.

As I’ve said before, the router it not in any way involved in the assignment of the laser’s IP. Whatever you enter into the control panel is the IP that the ruida will use. However, whether or not that IP is actually available on the network is a separate story.

I think this will be easiest if you can provide the following:

1. Photo or screenshot of the “static ip” screen that you’ve been attempting to change
  2. Photo of DHCP server screen like the one I uploaded earlier
  3. Screenshot of IP setup in LightBurn
  4. Photo of current IP setup on Ruida control panel

I agree on the misunderstanding. You are trying to diagnose it from the laser side. My issue is on the router side. Like I said before, I probably went to the wrong place, but I assumed anyone with a laser connected directly to their router would be able to answer this.
As simple as I can explain it: Everything works. Router IP Changes (Ruida still has original router IP). Line of communication broken.
The laser is not capable of fixing this, so I need to find a solution on the router side that works with the laser.

This is the only ‘side’ of the router you have control over. The ‘other side’ is the web and your isp controls your connection on that side…

The Internet (isp) → cable modem → (WAN) router (LAN) → laser … same side of the router. The WAN and LAN have different ip addresses.

I’ll try to stay out of this for @berainlb to assist… however what he’s trying to say is that your cable isp is probably setup for dynamic allocation of your ip, so the WAN (wide area network, the WWW side) will change, but the router should show the LAN (Local area network) as consistent…

It is usually 192.168.1.x with 192.168.1.1 being the gateway…

I look back and you have 192.168.118.x in one shot and the laser on 192.168.125.x … you want the first three octets to be the same.

@KnightRid suggestion is what needs to be corrected from what I can see…

Good luck

Actually that’s not the case. I’m looking at it holistically. If you provide the information requested it’s very likely this can be sorted relatively easily.

But I suggest you proceed with how you’re comfortable.

The dynamically allocated IP from your internet provider will not have an affect on the laser. The internal router IP is unlikely to change without your explicit intervention.

The Ruida does not “have” the router IP other than possibly in the gateway information, again, which is unlikely to change.

The laser in isolation will likely not fix the overall issue you’re having. However, you will need to provide a bit more information to make it apparent what the actual issue is.

As you’ve said, everyone on here who has ethernet setup has gone through this. Some specifically have relatively sophisticated networks that require more configuration than what you’re looking at.

I already provided all of that information prior in the thread.
I figured it out. I had to create a static lease on my router to allow the laser to continue to connect to the same IP even though the router is changing IP’s.

You are incorrect in your second comment. The dynamically allocated IP from the ISP does affect the laser because the gateway changes with the IP. That is how the dhcp is setup in the newer routers apparently. The only way to circumvent this is to create a static lease within the router.

Which is what was advised in post 22 … after it was discussed in post 5 or 6…

Glad you’re back up, anyway…

Good luck

Glad you’re up and running.

Are you getting a publicly addressable IP from the ISP? And how is the internal network gateway changing with the WAN IP? And by internal gateway, this would normally be the internal IP address of the router itself.

Incidentally, a static dhcp lease would not address the issue of the Gateway IP changing as the Ruida would still be pointing to the old gateway IP.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.