Rapid movements while framing too fast

Xtool D1 with the first generation (roller only) rotary device. I like to use the center point for the designs I am putting on mugs - it’s just easier to layout than trying to use a corner. The problem is that when framing the rotary device rapids to the starting point too fast and caused the mug to slip…it is never in the same alignment when it finishes framing. I’m running the burns very slow so I’ve had success running designs but I’m sure I couldn’t run another pass and expect it to be in the exact location. I’ve found where to slow the rapid moves in the “Move” page but that doesn’t effect the speed of the rapids while framing. Any suggestions?

You need to modify the ‘acceleration’ to that axes.

:smile_cat:

If you haven’t already done so, update your firmware. xTool have fixed a number of firmware issues since their preliminary release which are not really optional since they do not give you the option of modifying configurations.

Thank you! I know I’ve seen those “acceleration” settings, but could you refresh me on where to find them?

1 Like

I do have the latest firmware upgrade. I started out with my mm/rot set at 360 (like the old version) and the thing would spin about 10 times! I changed it to 32 and all is well. BTW: as a machinist and a bit of a perfectionist, I knew I would not be happy with these “floating” or “drifting” problems on the rollers, so I just ordered the chuck type version 2. I have a feeling I won’t ever use the rollers when I have the 3 jaw chuck, I won’t have these problems with drift, and I should be able to make repeated burns and do cross hatching, etc. I hated to spend the money but I’m just not satisfied with the V1 roller. They came out with the V2 right after I bought the V1. Smh. I only bought the V1 cuz they kept giving me coupons and discounts! lol. Anybody in the market for an almost new V1 roller rotary? Cheap!!

1 Like

I don’t have the X1, but I have a grbl machine, that’s probably similar.

You can find them “Edit → Machine settings”

You can probably change them via the console with the $ command

This won’t help @tengraver, unfortunately, since xTool prohibit changes. Good as a reference, however.

Can’t keep track of those machines that cannot set values and/or keep them…

Seems like a poor design. I’m sure it’s great for support…

So, how is he supposed to slow it down…?

Wait for xTool to release a new firmware because of complaints based on how they’ve approached previous issues.

That’s a pretty sad approach from a users standpoint.

Agreed. One reason they’re on my “never buy” list.

Good replies, I appreciate your help! I like the xTool as an entry level machine but I found out right away about their drawbacks. I’m learning a lot and having a blast seeing what this thing can do. Hopefully if my efforts become profitable I will be able to upgrade. I’m really glad there are so many good videos on LightBurn and this blog…very helpful and I’ve been able to solve most of my problems very quickly.

The irony is that “lower” level machines compared to D1 perform better in terms of these behaviors. At least much fewer corner cases. Because the D1 is marketed as a premium diode laser there’s an expectation that this is as good as it gets for that price of machine. That’s just not the case. Machines priced at less than half the cost have fewer firmware issues. Xtool has fairly good build quality but seemingly awful QC for their firmware and a great number of behavioral quirks because of it. Good hardware held back by bad firmware.

It seems most of the most egregious issues are resolved or have possible workarounds but not what you’d like to see for a premium product.

What would be some of the machines in this class you would recommend?

I’m reluctant to endorse any manufacturer but I can list out the major pros and cons I’ve seen for the most common makers on this site:

• Ortur - good customer support, readily available online documentation and regular firmware updates. Solid hardware but most manufacturers seem to have caught up with them in terms of build quality and innovation. Fairly fast controllers.

• Atomstack - Innovative hardware. They’re pushing the laser power envelope and are first out the door with a 20W diode laser. They started without limit switches but have added those, offline controllers, and integrated air assist into their latest offerings. Their support does not seem very good or responsive and their online documentation is improving but generally bad. Mostly marketing material but they have made their manuals available as PDF at least. I don’t see firmware updates published online. Not sure about their latest offerings but they have previously used 8-bit Arduino based controller designs. They are well understood but relatively slow controllers. Their original firmware did not allow for GRBL configuration changes but updated firmware allows changes.

• Sculpfun - Similar start as Atomstack although innovating less quickly. They also have very similar controller hardware and limitations as Atomstack. Firmware updates will allow changes to be saved. Their online documentation and resource availability is probalby the worst of the bunch.

• Neje - They were the early innovators in this space. They have since fallen off in terms of leading hardware but still bring solid offerings. They are friendly in terms of firmware updates and allowing GRBL changes but their QC for their firmware seems inconsistent. They have had a number of production issues with their controllers as of late with failing boards. This seems to have been resolved now. Their online documentation is now quite good. Their initial controllers were Arduino based but have now transitioned to fairly quick 32-bit offerings.

• xTool - They came in with some fanfare into this space and launched a compelling product on paper. Hardware seems very well constructed and brought in some innovations like laser crosshairs, drop-down focus height tool, hidden belts, solid metal construction, sensorless homing, supposed high speed capability. However, they launched first without any GRBL support so hamstrung by their meager inhouse software. They claim to have not used GRBL code to implement their GRBL compatible firmware. When they launched their GRBL (LightBurn compatible) firmware it had enough issues where some basic operations didn’t work correctly. They’ve since released a series of updates to address most but not all issues. Support seems fairly good if not slow. Their online documentation and support seems fairly good. Well done in some areas but oddly lacking in others. Overall, the D1 was an okay offering but seems to have underwhelmed its promise. I’d be curious to hear from some unambiguously happy users. They may be out there but simply not posting on this forum.

Note that none of these companies are GPL compliant with their use of GRBL as far as I know if that sort of thing matters to you.

1 Like

Great summary, I have to bookmark this :slight_smile:

I only used Sculpfun lasers so far, I agree to what you wrote, but would add that they have really great support. Very reactive and replaces broken parts immediately, even if it was user’s fault.
Because of the lack of documentation, I created a Sculpfun Wiki (https://wiki.the-iskens.com/), the one I cite here very often (I don’t do that to earn money (I do not earn anything), but it’s easier to link there instead of writing the same answers over and over (especially for Facebook users :slight_smile: )

Good to know. I have no direct experience with them. I really wish they would improve their online resources.

I’ve seen this and it’s really well done.

Again, great comments and the level of knowledge here is amazing! I am looking forward to continuing this journey into the laser machines. I know I can count on this venue as a reliable source of information.