Re-Setting Laser Diode Unit In Atomstack Laser Module

I’m a little embarrassed to ask this question, but I’d like to get the focus set up properly.

Anyway, for the Atomstack Laser Module (in their A5 M50 40W machine), what is the correct distance from the bottom of the fixed focus lens to the bottom of the laser module housing? I know that the distance from the bottom of that housing to the workpiece is supposed to be 2 or 3 mm depending on the focusing spacer they provide.

My problem is that my diode unit (combined diode/lens assembly) slipped from its initial position while I was attempting to mount a dedicated air assist hood on the protruding part of that unit. I had assumed that the laser unit was screwed into position, and instead it is merely held with a grub-screw.

I managed to get the diode/lens module re-secured, and it is “close” to where it should be, but I’m sure it could be off by as much as 1-2 mm. I have contacted Atomstack about it, but the only “help” they provided was to say that I was supposed to use the acrylic focusing spacer, which doesn’t address the actual problem I was having.

I considered using a slant-board to find the focus distance, but there is so little space between the module housing and the work-piece it is very difficult to do properly.

The spacer measures from the bottom of the module to the work surface. Can you just set it that way?

I have a similar model, I adjust by sliding the module up and down… I think that’s what Atomstack is suggesting…

Or I’m misunderstanding you…

:smile_cat:

I think he’s saying the internals slipped Jack.

If that’s the case… if you can slid it down further and do the ramp test, you can compute where it needs to be…

Either way you’ll probably have to ramp test it to ensure it’s at the proper focus.

Good luck

I was hoping to avoid the ramp-test. Since these are mass-produced fixed-focus units, I would guess they are built to a standard focal length, and then installed into the housing using a standard spacer to get it to the right height. In other words, all of these diode units are placed at the same distance from the base of the housing to the bottom of the diode unit, and if you know what that distance is supposed to be you can avoid the ramp test.

Dropping the diode unit down about 10-20 mm would allow a proper ramp test, but that also means disassembly and reassembly of the Laser Module at least two more times, and I had hoped to avoid that.

Maybe another member on here with the same Module could give you the exact dimension, keep the power dry for now and see what happens.

Thanks, that was sort of my plan at this point. It’s definitely “close” where it sets now, and my lasing is pretty much on hold until I sort out a ventilation and enclosure solution.

Did you advise Atomstack that the devices internals came apart?

Yup.

And when I gave them the Amazon order number, that was the last I heard from them. Of course, I might have been dealing with the wrong Atomstack website, as there are several, and they operate rather independently of one another.

Besides, it isn’t really a warranty issue. I obviously put too much pressure on the diode/lens unit, causing it to slip.