Recurring Error: "Port failed to open - already in use?"

For the last two days, I have been having tremendous trouble getting my Elegoo Phecda to connect with Lightburn, with almost no problem before that. Nineteen out of twenty times I try to connect, I get a “Port failed to open - already in use?” error message. The one time I did get it to connect, I couldn’t figure out what I did differently. I’ve attached system info files, but the TL;DR version is Windows 11 on a ROG Strix G513QY laptop.

As far as troubleshooting, I have tried all of the following, multiple times:

• Disconnect and reconnect USB cable (min: 1 min.)
  • Power down Phecda (min: 1 min.)
  • Combinations of both above
  • Rebooting Laptop
  • Removing and reinstalling CHB driver
  • Removing and reinstalling COM port
  • Change COM port designation (from 8 to 11, etc.)
  • Removing Lightburn 1.4.03 and installing 1.4.01 (with which previously I had no problems, but wasn’t helpful this time.)

I suspect a Windows Update has messed with my connection, but I haven’t been able to figure out which one, installed in the last few days, might have done it:

Quality Updates:

• 2023-10 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5031323)
  • 2023-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5031354)

Driver Updates:

• wch.cn - Ports - 3.8.2023.2 (I think this was my troubleshooting)

Other Updates:

• Windows Intelligence Update (2)
  • Windows Configuration Update (KB5030509)
  • Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - v5.118 (KB890830)

I am getting desperate and would appreciate any help you can offer.

LightBurnLog.txt (1.1 MB)
Lightburn Support Data 20231017.txt (5.2 KB)
System Information Summary 20231017.txt (1.6 KB)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Tim Martin

IXͶYy
Co-host of the AreYouJustWatching podcast
Computer Geek/Stentorian
Nos hortari ridiculam vultus

I should have also mentioned that I’ve poured through the other posts in the forum for this issue, trying the various suggestions, but with no joy there, either. I’m hoping my choice to provide an abundance of information will be helpful in the long run.

Further note: My best success in resolving this is moving the USB cable from its current port to another elsewhere, either on the laptop or a connected hub. On average, that seems to work four out of every five times.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.