Resize tabs and slots

I tried the resizing of the nests in a project for laser engravers, released with version 1.3.0.

a great thing.
i tried with some objects, simple objects, and it works fine.
in the boxes, in my opinion there are some problems.
in the screenshot that I attach my project.
on the right the original object for a 3 mm material.
on the left the same project scaled from 3mm to 6mm.
in my opinion, unless I do something wrong, the resized box doesn’t fit properly.
Can you tell me where I’m wrong?
thank you.

I think that’s a limitation of the tool currently. It does not identify the partial slot on the edges as something to change.

Thank you.

If you change it from “Slots” mode to “Tabs” mode it will likely do what you want.

Tabs are the parts that “stick out”, where slots are the holes that “indent inward”.

There will always be ways to fool it and have it not properly identify everything. The point of the tool was never to do 100% of the work for you, but it should be able to get you 95% of the way there.

Thanks Oz for your reply, and congrats on your great work.
IN the screenshot project I tried both with SLOT and with TAB.
I’m an Italian youtuber and I have a channel exclusively dedicated to teaching your software.
I was trying out the new features to make a video to publish, when I ran into some difficulties with the resizing of the embeds.
later I will send some clips of the video (not yet published), in order to understand what could be my possible mistakes.

If you prefer I can send you a link via private message to see the video clips.

If you can attach the file you were trying to use that would be better - a video will simply confirm what you’ve already told me, and I believe you.

If you don’t want to post the file here, send it by email to support@lightburnsoftware.com and include a link to this thread so support knows to assign it to me.

No problem to post my problematic files.
Are three files.

scatola 70x55x20interne scatola logo e lupi.lbrn (596.6 KB)
Box 3 e 4 mm.lbrn (73.0 KB)
Palla natale con stelle.lbrn2 (55.5 KB)

In the file “Box 3”:

One of these is made of disconnected pieces, and would need to be joined together, not just grouped:

I see no issues with the 4mm box:
C0ED9216-F595-4014-A3A3-71FFA3CB4979

In the 3mm box, you have extra nodes inserted at these points that are causing issues:

If you used Edit > Optimize Shapes with the ‘fit to lines’ option, it would remove those.

In the Scatola file:
All the outer corners have these small angles on them, which will need to be removed:

In the Palla Natale file:
A number of the shapes aren’t closed, and have these small “tails” at these points:

With those cleaned up, it works as expected:

3 Likes

Thanks Oz.
I was sure there were some mistakes and I didn’t understand why they happened to me.

Now I know where to go and how to correct the paths in case of malfunction of the resize function of the embeds.

Thanks for the time you wanted to dedicate to me, so I’ll know how to behave with the users of my social networks who ask me for help.

1 Like

I am struggling trying to make this work. Here is a little cell phone stand idea. How can I make the Slot tool work with this. I bring the files in as a DXF.

Patrick

slot demo.lbrn2 (15.1 KB)

Select the part with the slots, select resize slots.
Put the size of your slots in the first box and your new size in the second box.
First time I have tried this, but seems to work fine for me.

Ahhh - now I see what happened. When I bring in a dxf, I usually group, and that is the problem. I need to just use the JOIN function and it works.

Thank you

Patrick

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.